Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Fan shroud for cooling plastic  (Read 362 times)

PhracturedBlue

• View Profile
Fan shroud for cooling plastic
« on: December 18, 2012, 02:58:14 AM »
I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a fan/shroud that will cool the printed plastic.  I have an elaborate file I want to print, and after failing a few times, I think part of the issue may be that I need to cool the plastic faster.  I've been looking at various designs at thingiverse, but the bukobot hotend is much taller than most, so I think many of them won't fit the bukobot well.  I'm just curious how others cool the printed plastic (without cooling the hot-end)

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
Re: Fan shroud for cooling plastic
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 03:43:17 AM »
The fan mount has a second set of holes for mounting the fan so that it extends below the mount. The air coming from the bottom portion of the fan can then be redirected onto the print, but you have to be careful to avoid cooling the nozzle. Early on, we made fan shrouds out of business cards and polyimide tape that worked pretty well. We designed a printed version, but we have since made a change to the hot end design to make it more reliable that made it longer, so the air would hit the nozzle if we used it now.

If you're not already, you should be using a minimum layer time of at least 20 seconds, with or without active cooling of the print. This will slow down layers that would otherwise take less time to print so that the plastic has time to harden before being printed on. With this setting, active cooling of the print should not be necessary, but you can still use one if you want. Unfortunately, none of the ones on thingiverse are likely to fit, but you can use the business card (or any comparably stiff paper stock) and kapton method, and I'm sure we will release a new printable shroud design eventually (though our customers are so great that I bet one of them will beat us to it :) )

PhracturedBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 04:18:56 AM »
Back to this,  a picture of a jury-rigged setup would help me get a better idea of what to do.  I definitely need to find a solution, and as I've found the extruder is very sensitive to air flow, I need to figure out how to direct it the the print without flowing over the hot end.

mayura.v

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 09:37:10 PM »
I notice the bukito comes with an optional PLA cooling fan kit. Any chance of the model for that fan mount being listed up.

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 03:46:59 AM »
The files for the Bukito fan mount will be posted when we post the rest of the files for the Bukito, but the piece is highly specialized to the Bukito and wouldn't look anything like a similar part to fit the Bukobot.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines