Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: New Panucatt LCD and Jog Panel  (Read 2716 times)

buildrob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
New Panucatt LCD and Jog Panel
« on: December 15, 2012, 08:01:45 AM »
I see that Roy from Panucatt Devices (the same guy who makes the Azteeg controllers which the Bukobot uses) is Kickstarting a pretty slick looking LCD and printer control panel which you can connect to your Bukobot to control it.

There's a pretty cool video at the bottom of the page with the LCD in use:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1245051645/viki-lcd-a-sleek-lcd-control-interface-for-your-3d

It looks like its got a 20x4 backlit LCD display, a rotating jog encoder, 4 directional buttons, a center button, a SD card slot, a pause/stop button, 3 programmable LEDS and a SD card present LED. Cool.

Rob.

TommyFive

• View Profile
Re: New Panucatt LCD and Jog Panel
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 06:58:10 AM »
How hard might this be to interface with the X1 on the Bukobot?  This interests me - it seems very similar to the manual panel control system on the CNC mills at my workplace...

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 08:40:44 AM »
Looks like you'll just need to solder and connect pins to some of the empty expansion footprints. Roy says he should have a new prototype for me to test within about a week, so we'll know more then.

redteam316

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 07:53:01 AM »
Looked like a good addition so I grabbed one. Just got the survey sent off :D

Irawans

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 03:37:53 PM »
Anyone who backed Roy's project (VIKI LCD : http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1245051645/viki-lcd-a-sleek-lcd-control-interface-for-your-3d) has received and installed it ? Mine is on its way. Would you like to share how is it in here ?

Thanks.

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 06:30:45 PM »
I received mine last week.  Looks nice.

But I don't know where to connect it, so it's sitting in its box.
Bukobot Duo v1

buildrob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 11:04:13 PM »
Ok here's some quick instructions for basic functionality:
If you don't connect the stop/pause/resume button (which is not supported by Marlin anyway - although you can connect it to the RESET pin on the ICSP header if you like), then on the X3 you only need to connect the EXP3 header.

The +5 and GND connections are pretty obvious.
The SDA and SCL wires connect to the corresponding pins on the EXP3 header EXCEPT that the X3 wiring diagram is wrong and these two pins are reversed on the current diagram. I told Roy about this a while ago but he still hasn't updated it (getting them reversed won't damage anything - it just won't work). :-( The ENA and ENB rotary encoder pins on the panel should then connect to pins D7 & D22 on EXP3.

Then you need to get firmware which supports the VIKI board (unfortunately the Marlin maintainers still haven't integrated my pull request which adds support for I2C displays). Rich is putting together a Bukobot firmware branch which includes my Viki support change - I imagine that should be ready soon but you could also get it straight from: https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin/pull/407 in the mean time if you want.

To build the firmware it you need to download a copy of lincomatic's great LiquidTWI2 library from here: https://github.com/lincomatic/LiquidTWI2 and put it in you Arduino libraries subdirectory (or at least that's what I find the easiest).
Then in Configuration.h you should check that #define LCD_I2C_VIKI is not commented out with //.
Next in pins.h you should search for the line which say "#if MOTHERBOARD == 3 || MOTHERBOARD == 33 || MOTHERBOARD == 34" and then look for the line which says "      //buttons are directly attached using AUX-2" and change the following lines after that to tell the firmware where the rotary encoder pins are connected.
Code: [Select]
      #define BTN_EN1 7
      #define BTN_EN2 22
      #define BTN_ENC -1  //the click
I imagine that Rich will already make this change in his Bukobot branch.
Then compile and upload.

For an Azteeg X1 you need to use a different pair of digital input pins for the rotary encoder. I'd suggest D10 and A3 (which doubles as D28 and "28" is the number you should use in pins.h) as they are on the same header as SDA/SCL/+5/GND pins.
You still need to change the pins.h section but this time you are looking for the "#if MOTHERBOARD == 62 || MOTHERBOARD == 63" board section and then change the define for BTN_EN1 and BTN_EN2 to 10 and 28.

By the way, the directional buttons are not supported in marlin firmware.
Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:43:40 PM by buildrob »

buildrob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 11:30:52 PM »
I haven't played with the uSD slot yet - but that should largely be a case of patching across the corresponding ICSP header pins. Clock/DataIn/DataOut. You can connect the viki stop BTN to the ICSP RESET pin as well if you like.

However you also need to connect the Chip Select pin for things to work - which is not on the ICSP header. [The Card detect pin is optional.]

I think one of the two pin headers on the right of the X3 board exports these pins but I'll find out from Roy - otherwise just connect to any digital input pin and update the SDSS define in pins.h accordingly.

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 12:06:28 AM »
Thanks Rob. The reversed SCL and SDA were tripping me up.

BTW, there's a two-pin header between ICSP and the uSD card slot that has SDSS and card detect.

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 12:36:27 AM »
Looks like the the encoder pins need to be hardware interrupt pins, so D28 on the X1 won't work. The hardware interrupt pins are D2, D10, and D11, and D2 is already used, but D11 is on EXP1 (listed as Tx1), so you'll need headers on EXP1 and EXP2 for an X1.

I don't know why the X1 version needs hardware interrupts for the encoder but the X3 version doesn't...

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 01:05:10 AM »
Ok, I have posted experimental Viki support at https://github.com/whosawhatsis/Marlin/tree/Bukobot-VIKI

You'll need to install the libraries in the Arduino Addons folder and use Arduino 1.0.2 or newer. For those not familiar with my new config scheme, you'll also need to open configuration.h and select the correct options at the top. For instance, if you have a Duo and don't have the new DRV8825 stepper drivers, you'll want to uncomment the DUO option and comment-out the DRV8825 option.

For an X3, you'll want the pins connected from the upper connector on the VIKI to EXP3 in this configuration:

Green | Blue
White | Red
Yellow | Black

For an X1, it should be the same order but on EXP2, except for the yellow wire, which needs to be in the same position on EXP1.

Instructions for hooking up the second cable for the uSD slot will come later, but the first cable will give you the primary control panel functionality.

If you try it, please report back with your success/failure, and what configuration you're using.

Lightn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 02:27:01 AM »
I tried the new firmware with my Duo, however I encountered a few problems.  The main problem is that the X and Y axis won't move, either from host software or from the Viki controller.  Also, I get stuck in the Card Menu, clicking on Main doesn't do anything.

I noticed a few other more minor things.  The jog controller takes 2 or 3 clicks to move between selections, is that intentional?  On the Watch screen the jog controller seems really sensitive, affecting the feed rate by just barely touching it.

Also, I never noticed this before, but apparently the X3 controller needs the USB connection to power it?  Is there some way to change it so that I can just use the main power supply?

buildrob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 02:29:43 AM »
Looks like the the encoder pins need to be hardware interrupt pins, so D28 on the X1 won't work. The hardware interrupt pins are D2, D10, and D11, and D2 is already used, but D11 is on EXP1 (listed as Tx1), so you'll need headers on EXP1 and EXP2 for an X1.

I don't know why the X1 version needs hardware interrupts for the encoder but the X3 version doesn't...

Hi Rich,
Have you tried it using D28 on X1? I saw in the pins.h file that someone said it had to be a interrupt pin but I don't think that is correct. D7 and D22 on the X3 aren't PCINT (pin change interrupt) pins and it seemed to work fine. In code it just looks like they are read in the extruder PID interrupt routine every 100ms.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 03:20:14 AM by buildrob »

buildrob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2013, 02:35:03 AM »
I noticed a few other more minor things.  The jog controller takes 2 or 3 clicks to move between selections, is that intentional?  On the Watch screen the jog controller seems really sensitive, affecting the feed rate by just barely touching it.

Also, I never noticed this before, but apparently the X3 controller needs the USB connection to power it?  Is there some way to change it so that I can just use the main power supply?

I've been meaning to talk to lincomatic about the jog step (apparently he's already worked out a fix for this). The VIKI jog has a different number of steps per rotation to the Ultimaker jog control.

Re: USB power. If you remove the X3 shield there a jumper on the main board underneath which selects whether the controller is powered from USB  or the internal 5V regulator. You want the latter.

buildrob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2013, 03:16:45 AM »
BTW, there's a two-pin header between ICSP and the uSD card slot that has SDSS and card detect.

Yep that's the one I'm meaning. I just wasn't sure which pin is which (I guess I can pull out my multimeter and work it out myself).

Although by default the SDCARDDETECT pin is not configured (i.e. set to -1) for the RAMPS motherboard configuration in Marlin. You could potentially change that in your pins.h setup.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines