Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Continuous Filament  (Read 433 times)

Tyson

• View Profile
Continuous Filament
« on: November 20, 2012, 09:44:59 PM »
Not sure if this should be my first concern ... but here it goes:

How is "the end of the roll" handled for Filament?   

If I run out before completion then certainly there is a problem, but how do I know if there is enough left?   Am I continuously measuring and left with end of rolls?  Is there a way to join pieces?

Diego

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Continuous Filament
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 10:39:18 PM »
We get this all time in production. The best thing is to use the short pieces for testing, purging a color or just use the "pause" feature in software to swap out filament. The Bukobot's quick release extruder makes it easier to do swapping.

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 11:03:12 PM »
We're considering developing an upgrade to detect running out of filament and handle it well, but for now you will just need to make sure that there is enough before starting. If you notice that you are going to run out, Repetier host does allow you to pause the print. With the print paused, you can jog the Z axis up, release the idler and pull out the filament, push a new piece through (do not run the extruder from the control panel, otherwise it will reverse to get to its previous position when you resume), clear the nozzle with tweezers and hit resume. The extruder will go back to where it was and continue printing.

PhracturedBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:58:57 PM »
do not run the extruder from the control panel, otherwise it will reverse to get to its previous position when you resume
Is that a purposeful behavior from repetier-host?  why would I ever want to reverse the extruder back to where it was?  The extruder is unlike other axes  basically non-reversible.  It sounds like it would be an easy patch to make it not do that when resuming.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines