Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Using 2 colors on a Duo  (Read 918 times)

PhracturedBlue

• View Profile
Using 2 colors on a Duo
« on: December 11, 2012, 06:48:46 PM »
Has anyone printed with 2 colors on the Duo?
Does the firmware have the extruder X-offset included?  I looked at the configuration .h files and didn't see anything there.  Slic3r seems to assume that the firmware knows the x-offset and applies it automatically when switching tools.
So I'm curious what the right way to print with 2 colors is on the Bukobot Duo.

I saw a patch for Marlin that adds the x-offset (as far as I can tell it is not included in the trunk so far?), so I guess I could give that a shot.  Or possibly an alternate firmware?

Anyhow if anyone has already done this and can provide some tips, it'd be great to know.

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
Re: Using 2 colors on a Duo
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 06:57:53 PM »
Extruder offsets are done in slic3r, and it is included in all recent versions. Look in the printer settings tab, select an extruder, and right under nozzle size is position, which is used to set the position of that extruder. Generally, the first extruder will be (0, 0) and the other will be roughly (75, 0), though this offset will need to be calibrated for each machine.

PhracturedBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 07:03:07 PM »
Hmm.  I missed that I guess.  For precision, I guess I need to be within ~0.1mm of offset to print 2 colors on the same object?  I can do that with my calipers, but it only gives me distance.  But I think I need to also verify the y-axis as well?  Is this just one of those cases where I just need to print out some calibration objects and tweak via trial and error?

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 07:43:27 PM »
This script will generate gcode you can run to calibrate your offsets: http://whosawhatsis.com/paraphernalia/offset_test_generator.html

buildrob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 10:41:33 AM »
That is seriously awesome Rich!

3DWizard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 07:23:23 PM »
Rich, I am looking into this calibration link you posted up above and I'm not quite sure how to implement it. Can you guide me through the process? It would be much appreciated...Thanks!

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 09:31:19 PM »
The two large boxes contain gcode snippets to generate a test pattern. Pre-heat both nozzles (and platform, if necessary) and then run each script (you can save and open in repetier host, or just copy/paste the code into the gcode window). Once it is printed, check the lines on the platform to see which is aligned best, and choose the corresponding offset value from the commented lines at the top of the gcode you used.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines