Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Changing Filaments  (Read 383 times)

Rocko

• View Profile
Changing Filaments
« on: March 13, 2014, 04:10:22 AM »
I just finished building my Bukobot, have ran through the test flight and have done the initial test print (bed perimeter and 3 cylinders, etc).  I have been using the sample PLA filament that came with the kit, but now I want to switch to another color filament.

I found a youtube video that describes the process as such: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKhdUj3f0UI)
  • Loosen/remove the filament tension
  • Heat the extruder to about 100d
  • When the temp gets to about 80 degrees pull the filament out

I tried it, but the amount of force that I used didn't work and I was reluctant to use more in fear of damaging it. 

On the Bukobot, what's is the proper way to extract the filament and install another? 

If this is documented someplace, a link would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Gene

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Changing Filaments
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 03:47:20 PM »
Bukobot Duo v1

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 12:19:57 AM »
The Spitfire extruders have a really tight grip on the filament that can sometimes make the filament difficult to remove the filament by hand even with the idler disengaged, especially with stiffer filaments. You can use the manual controls in Repetier Host to retract the filament instead. This will be easier if you're not trying to pull it out cold (below extrusion temperature). You will just have to run the extruder for a while to flush out the old material. If they're materials that print at different temperatures, extrude at the higher temperature. If you want to use the extruder motor to assist with filament removal below the minimum extrusion temperature (160C), you can send the code M302 to temporarily disable cold extrusion prevention.

Rocko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 02:37:07 PM »
Thanks for the info!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines