Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Foam mounting tape for x-ends too thick/needed?  (Read 165 times)

PhxChris

• View Profile
Foam mounting tape for x-ends too thick/needed?
« on: February 09, 2014, 07:16:08 AM »
On my Bukobot 8 v2 kit, the x ends came with two layers of foam double sided tape attached to them. With both layers in place, cannot get the acrylic rail sliders to fit over the z vertical rails. With no tape, everything fits fine, but it looks like there will be some play in the y direction. One layer of tape would appear to be perfect, but can't separate the two layers (hence the damaged tape look).

No tape or 1 layer of tape? Where can I source it locally?

PhxChris

• View Profile
Re: Foam mounting tape for x-ends too thick/needed?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 02:29:57 AM »
Turns out they are using Scotch Permanent Mounting Squares. Where 2 layers seemed to be too thick, one layer fit nicely.

Cut the Mounting Square width to fit, made a small hole with an x-acto knife for the screw and left the green crosshatch tape on (facing the slider). Mounting tape applied on one side only.

Was able to slide everything together onto the z rails and place & tighten the screws for the second slider. Nice option is that you can vary the drag by tightening or loosening the screw on the mounting square side.

benmlee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 07:13:39 PM »
I would leave both squares on. You want a tight fit there, and the foam tape gives a little. Just put the X carrier on the rail and push over to squeeze the foam tape a little. The tape acts like a spring take out free play.

Zigor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 11:55:44 PM »
Mine didn't come with foam tape so I ran out and bought some.  2 pads seems right to me too.  Great improvement, my low layer prints have a lot less "stepping".

PhxChris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 10:24:33 PM »
Went ahead and removed the X ends and redid them with 2 layers of foam tape. Seems to be working great.

To make things work, trimmed the width off 2 foam tape squares, cut a hole for the screw using an x-acto knife, and glued them together. Attached one of the acrylic rail sliders to the X end with the foam tape and a screw to hold everything in place. Tightened the screw carefully to compress the foam tape layers and then slide everything (X end plus both rail sliders) onto the Z rail. Once on the rail, added the screw to the second acrylic rail slider and loosened the screw on the foam tape slider. Was able to slide everything on and get a nice tight fit.

If you can push hard enough, you probably don't need this screw trick. In my case, this was the best option.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 10:26:54 PM by PhxChris »

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines