Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Bed coating for PLA printing  (Read 637 times)

MrXtreme

• View Profile
Bed coating for PLA printing
« on: February 02, 2014, 05:16:47 AM »
Fellow Bukoboters,

For the past year I've been printing PLA on blue painters tape.  Generally it works well.  However with some objects the print will lift on the corners even to the point of pulling up the blue tape.  Occasionally I'll have an adhesion failure to the tape itself.  I tried other materials and even hair spray on the glass.  What worked best up to now was blue tape with a rub down of iso-alcohol.  Problem then is sometimes the adhesion is too great and I can't get the print off the bed without ripping off the tape.

Tonight I just tried something I saw over at Hoss CNC.  White Elmer's Glue Stick.  It worked great!  Nice flat print.  No lifting at all.  Smooth bottom (okay that doesn't sound right).  And it popped right off.

I just smeared one thin layer right out of the stick, onto the glass.

Just thought I'd share just in case this hasn't been mentioned before.

James

Milo

• View Profile
Re: Bed coating for PLA printing
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 01:27:06 AM »
I've never had any issues using kapton tape and about 60 degrees Celsius on the bed, but this does sound interesting. I'll give it a shot.
Bukobot v2

Zigor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 04:04:52 AM »
Yeah I tried that out, it works for ABS too.  It's only a minor hassle cleaning the glue off.  But yeah, I just print PLA right on the glass.

johnstevenjacob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 03:59:01 AM »
I actually have the same problem as yours. There’s nothing wrong with the PLA filament I bought, so i guess it’s on the bed coating issue. According to 3d2print, an extra strong hairspray will help the filament to stick very well on the print bed. I’d like to try your trick some time, too. Thanks for sharing, btw.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:00:48 AM by johnstevenjacob »

MrXtreme

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 05:44:29 PM »
I tried hairspray and had mixed results.   With some prints it worked well but with prints that have proven troublesome with lifting, hairspray was a disaster.  So far the glue stick has been the most reliable for me, YMMV.  Plus hairspray is a hassle because i don't want to spray the gummy stuff around the machine which means I have to take the glass off, go into another room, spray, then reattach the glass.  If it worked better it might have been worth the hassle.

I haven't done a scientific sample but it does seem that adding some heat to the bed helps with the difficult to print objects.  I run 30C bed temp.  In two sample sets of heat vs. no-heat on the same part, the warmed bed worked better both times to prevent corner lifting.  Again not a scientific study, just an indication.

For reference, this is all printed with printbl.com PLA on a Bukobot Duo V1 (the old model).

Milo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 07:29:36 AM »
I've tried glue stick over the past couple of days and I do like how easy PLA bonds to it. The only downside I see is that the underside of prints looks inconsistent
Bukobot v2

Lwanmtr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 09:55:21 PM »
I tried the glue stick (wasnt elmers, just some off brand) and my print pulled off after layer 1...feeling the bed it was like nothing was there at all.

What bed temps are you using?

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 07:53:56 PM »
The brand is important if you're going to use glue sticks. Different brands use different formulas. They may all work similarly for gluing pieces of paper together, but that doesn't mean they'll work the same for gluing other things. Paper is porous and fibrous, making it easier to glue than just about anything else (anything that permeates the fibers and then hardens will do). There are even different brands of glue that work for different plastics.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines