Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Clicking extruder  (Read 692 times)

shortge

• View Profile
Clicking extruder
« on: January 28, 2014, 03:55:48 AM »
I'm going through the flight test with my printer and when I try to extrude the ABS, I get a clicking noise from the extruder and the gear appears to be skipping.  The plastic still goes down, but it's a bit herky-jerky rather than smooth.  In case the nozzle was clogged, I tried to empty it, but the clicking persists.  I'm not totally sure I unclogged it correctly though - a video of how to do that would be helpful.  I also cleaned the grooves in the gear to no avail.  Is there anything else that could cause this?

I haven't tried the PLA yet, but will just to make sure it doesn't have to do with the ABS sample being too large a diameter or something like that.

fiya

• View Profile
Re: Clicking extruder
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 07:44:14 PM »
It won't hurt to check the set screw on the gear and make sure it is properly seated. You may need to extrude or retract in order to turn it enough to see the set screw. You can send code M302 to allow a cold extrusion (moving the gear without heating the nozzle).

shortge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 09:55:15 PM »
That's a good suggestion, but I forgot to mention that I did that too.  It was as tight as it gets and the grooves seem to line up well with the hole.

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 07:24:28 PM »
How hot are you trying to extrude it, and at what speed?

shortge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 07:44:47 PM »
230 degrees and 100mm/min

Hippo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 03:47:29 AM »
I finally got my Bukobot assembled, and mine has the same problem. I have a dual extruder, and it only happens on one extruder. This has slowed me to diagnose it a little.

The one that's skipping is much tighter than other. I believe it's putting so much side pressure that the stepper is binding up.  When I clipped it, and used hand pressure alone it extruded properly. I'll have to disassemble the whole extruder and figure out how to loosen it.

In the meantime I've tied the lever in place with a rubber band. The amount of pressure seems to be enough to feed smoothly.

Any suggestions on how to adjust the tension of the wheel and clip on the extruder?

Thanks,
Dan

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 01:08:22 AM »
Recent kits have shipped with a lever with multiple notches to allow different amounts of tension. Do you have this version, or the older one that only locks in one position?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:42:45 AM by whosawhatsis »

shortge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 02:40:01 AM »
Various notches on the lever itself? (that's hard for me to picture)  My lever only has one notch.

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 12:44:42 AM »
If you're having problems with the single-notch version, send me an email at rich@deezmaker.com and I'll see if we can get some of the new ones sent out. Be sure to mention whether you have a single or duo, and include your mailing address.

Hippo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 06:40:09 AM »
I have no notches. I did manage to make some adjustment by filing out the hole in the plexi lever, but I'll send you a message about the new version.

Thanks,
Dan

midoco

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 04:33:40 PM »
I've been having the same problem.  I took a dremel to the tube that the lever locks against and made a flat spot.  This way if it doesn't work I can always rotate the tube to a non-flat spot and it will be like it was before.  It worked wonderfully with my new sapphire printbl PLA that I was previously unable to complete a print with.  I have attached a picture.

midoco

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 04:38:34 PM »
Spoke too soon.  It helped, but didn't cure the problem.  My ultimachine ABS and PLA print great as do the samples sent with the printer, but this printbl stuff is just too hard I guess.   

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines