Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Getting filament into extruder hole/tube  (Read 365 times)

shortge

• View Profile
Getting filament into extruder hole/tube
« on: January 20, 2014, 08:03:07 PM »
I just assembled my kit and am running through the flight check items. One issue I've run into is that I'm having difficulty getting the filament (that came with the kit) to fit into the extruder tube (ie, the hold right underneath the drive gear).  It seems like the driver gear is over too much of the hole (when looking directly overhead, only half of the hole is visible), so as pushing the filament off to the side.  Furthermore, when I try to lift the idler while the filament is sitting on top of the extruder hole (and thus, between the guide screw and drive gear), I face significant resistance to the point where I'm worried I'll snap the idler if I try to get it fully upright.  This also suggests that there isn't sufficient space between the guide screw and the drive gear for the filament.  Has anyone else had this problem?

I ran the extruder without putting up the idler, and had mixed results.  Sometime I'd get plastic to extrude and other times the gear would turn but I think the filament wasn't being pushed down.  Any suggestions would be welcome.

On a side note, I also haven't quite figured out how to rig up the plastic filament guide tube that comes with the kit.  Does anyone have a picture with that set on theirs? And an recommendations on what to put the filament spool on so that the strands aren't dangling/free to get caught in the machine?

Thanks so much!

fiya

• View Profile
Re: Getting filament into extruder hole/tube
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 06:45:54 PM »
I have heard that the idler should be difficult to lock in place. When I snap it closed, it leaves a faint imprint in my hand. I'm not sure about your drive gear placement, it's a little blurry in the pic, but I can see most of the hole. If someone else doesn't answer today, I'll take a pic of mine when I get home in 7 hours.

As for a spool holder, I use a cheap bamboo lazy susan from Bed Bath and Beyond. It was $20 and works well mounted slightly above the Bukobot. I left a 5 hour print last night and it worked just fine.

fiya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 03:48:47 AM »
The gear is covering about 20% of the hole when I look from directly above. I have about 30 mins on a print, and then I'll post a pic.

fiya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 04:28:20 AM »
About the same as yours.

shortge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 01:30:22 AM »
OK, I'll try with some extra force this weekend when I have a chance.  Thanks a lot for the help!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines