Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: talk me in to a Bukobot Duo  (Read 748 times)

midoco

• View Profile
talk me in to a Bukobot Duo
« on: November 23, 2013, 04:55:05 PM »
I think I want a Duo instead of a Replicator 2X.  Am I crazy?

I'm an optician and an RC aircraft designer/modeler, and I'm going to be purchasing my first 3D printer soon.
I could really use some insight from the experts.

What I'm searching for:
6.25"X7"X5" minimum build area... I will be printing eyewear frames among other things.
Dual extruders, or ability to upgrade to dual without reinventing the wheel.
Ability to print ABS... I'd like to be able to print PVA and nylon as well.
Accuracy and finished surfaces are a priority... I'm not too worried about speed.
I won't mind assembling it at all, but I will need a full kit. I don't want to be sourcing all the parts.
I won't mind fiddling with it to dial it in, but I'd prefer not to spend three or four hours a day on it once it's up and running.

I've been reading everything I can get my hands on, but I could sure use some first hand knowledge!

Thanks in advance,
Michael

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: talk me in to a Bukobot Duo
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 07:09:23 PM »
You do realize that everyone here is somewhat prejudiced...

The specs for a Bukobot duo fit what you described.

What I like about the Bukobot is its modularity.  It's easy to tear it apart and modify it, and improve it.

You do need to be aware of one aspect of FDM printing:  It can be hard to achieve a finish that satisfies your aesthetic standards.  Not impossible, but sometimes hard.  Of course this depends on your standards.  And this applies to all FDM printers, not just Bukobots.

To get the desired results, people sometimes have to spend a lot of time working out the little details.  Slicer settings can be tweaked ad nauseum (and the software continues to evolve too).  And where you get your filament from can have a huge impact.  Fortunately, once the right settings and workflow and materials are worked out, you can get fairly consistent results after that.

Some people use solvent spray systems to finish their parts after they come off the printer.  You should look into that.

In other words, your mileage may vary.  A lot.  And the only way to find out is to try it.

Am I crazy?

this question is outside the scope of this forum   :o
Bukobot Duo v1

midoco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 11:25:19 PM »
Thanks Jit.

I'm also considering a Replicator 2X, and I guess I just want to be reassured that I'm not giving up much print quality. 

Do the stock extruders to well with nylon, HIPS, and PVA.

Thanks again,
Michael

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 03:07:19 AM »
You are definitely not giving up quality by choosing a Bukobot over a Replicator. The Replicator is limited to a maximum resolution (minimum layer height) of 100 microns, without configuration options to allow you to attempt higher-quality prints. While the Bukobot only comes with pre-configured profiles of 100-300 microns, we have successfully tested a print with 20-micron layers, and out toolchain does not restrict you from attempting the same the way MBI's toolchain does.

As for materials, HIPS is easy, and the Bukobot has one of the best extruders for use with nylon. Based on my research and my own experience, I'm not convinced that PVA works well in any extruder. We can extrude it as well as anyone, but the material doesn't stick well enough to the platform, to other print materials, or even to itself for me to consider it a viable option. HIPS is a much better option for a support material, especially for use with ABS prints.

Herb

• View Profile
    • Herb Weiner
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 03:10:52 AM »
Is there any particular vendor you recommend for HIPS?

What is the appropriate extruder temperature for HIPS?
Bukobot Duo v2

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 03:53:45 AM »
We've had good results with HIPS from Lulzbot. Do NOT get it from JET (they sell through amazon). The HIPS we got from them was completely out-of-tolerance. It had a minimum diameter of 3.0mm, and most of it was closer to 3.2, with a maximum of 3.3mm. Completely unusable.

Toybuilder Labs is out normal supplier of most plastic, and they recently started carrying HIPS (in a variety of colors, not just white). We should have some from them soon, but I trust their quality control more than any other supplier we've dealt with.

Tyson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 09:28:21 PM »
If your interests and time allocation is dominated by the things you will create and design more so than 3D printing itself, Makerbot could be a stronger consideration.   If you really want to be in touch with the printing aspect and like access to every control, you can't do better than a Bukobot.

I think what people overlook the most is the importance of proficiency with a 3D CAD tool and making printable models.

If I were to choose between 2 people to work on a project, one with a Makerbot, and one with a Bukobot, I would choose the person with the strongest CAD skills.

And to learn the CAD, even to the point of slicing it to prepare for print, doesn't have to cost a penny assuming you already have a computer.

midoco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 10:44:43 PM »
Woohoo!  I ordered my Bukobot!  Now the waiting begins.

Michael

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines