Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: X-axis input on Azteeg X3 isn't registering  (Read 416 times)

RealityIncCo

• View Profile
X-axis input on Azteeg X3 isn't registering
« on: October 13, 2013, 01:51:05 AM »
My Bukobot's been working for awhile, but, today, after a print, I tried to set up a new print job and realized it wasn't moving on the x-axis. I switch the x and y motor inputs on the Azteeg and then the x-axis worked and the y didn't, indicating that it's something with the microcontroller itself. The slot for the x-axis is a little bent, so it's possible that I bent it somehow while getting the last print off the platform. Any idea of what I should do?

Thanks!

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: X-axis input on Azteeg X3 isn't registering
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 02:15:49 AM »
Put the motor plugs back where they were, then swap the driver boards for those two axes and see what happens.

(Remember to power down the Azteeg completely when doing any of those things.)
Bukobot Duo v1

RealityIncCo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 06:50:09 PM »
Thanks, Jit. And thanks for your awesome build instructions!

This may sound dumb, but what are the drive boards specifically? Are they the chips affixed to the Azteeg with a single screw as seen in the attached picture?

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 07:13:33 PM »
Don't turn that screw!  That's the driver current adjustment potentiometer...

Two driver boards are shown in that picture (they are also called pololus).  Each one has 16 pins protruding from the bottom, which plug into the Azteeg mainboard below.  Just grab them at the ends and pull them straight up.  Takes a little bit of force, as it's a friction fit.

You have to make sure you remove all power first before moving those, or before attaching/detaching motor cables.

Make sure you plug the driver boards back in the original orientation.  If you turn them around, the magic smoke will come out.
Bukobot Duo v1

RealityIncCo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 08:33:32 PM »
Awesome! Thanks, Jit! I switched the x and y boards and now they're functioning! Any idea what might have happened? They seem to be working exactly as before (even though the two boards are switched), should I switch them back for any reason?

Now, I have to figure out why my platform won't heat up.  I just got ABS for the first time, after using PLA for several months, and can't figure out why it won't heat up. I think that the connections from the bed to the Azteeg might not be secure. The indicator light doesn't seem to light up on the platform. Also, the fan runs as soon as I plug the printer in. Is that normal? It's done that since day one.

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 08:53:37 PM »
Awesome! Thanks, Jit! I switched the x and y boards and now they're functioning! Any idea what might have happened? They seem to be working exactly as before (even though the two boards are switched), should I switch them back for any reason?

Nah, don't switch them back.  But report back if they misbehave again.
No idea what happened there.

Now, I have to figure out why my platform won't heat up.  I just got ABS for the first time, after using PLA for several months, and can't figure out why it won't heat up. I think that the connections from the bed to the Azteeg might not be secure. The indicator light doesn't seem to light up on the platform. Also, the fan runs as soon as I plug the printer in. Is that normal? It's done that since day one.

Check the resistance from the platform screw terminals to the Azteeg screw terminals.

My power supply fan runs all the time, same speed, same annoying loudness, whenever the power supply is on.  The docs I have say the fan is supposedly under thermostatic control, but I don't believe that.
Bukobot Duo v1

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 08:23:02 PM »
I think he means the extruder fans, and yes, they should ALWAYS be on, but they are fairly quiet fans. The power supply fan that Jit is referring to is no longer used, as we've switched all of our machines to a power supply with a slightly lower maximum power output that is fanless.

RealityIncCo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 11:09:50 PM »
Thanks, guys! I'll let you know if I can figure out the heated bed business.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines