Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: xtruder keeps jamming,  (Read 451 times)

Rawpork

• View Profile
xtruder keeps jamming,
« on: September 16, 2013, 07:20:05 PM »
have not had a good print in over a month, not liking my bukobot tight now.  I have talked to Rich and tried every method for unclogging.  I noticed crack on extruder block so printed new one with other extruder out of ABS and trying to start up my PLA ext again with absolutely NO luck.  I feel like a 3d printer repair man not a maker right now.  EXTREMELY frustrating. I cannot see anyone at the shop, they are tied up until after the New York Maker faire.  I need to Finnish jobs I have piling up.  So frustrated beyond words.  Ready to order a new machine.

Herb

• View Profile
    • Herb Weiner
Re: xtruder keeps jamming,
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 07:28:31 PM »
I just had my first jam (see http://forum.bukobot.com/index.php?topic=2981.msg4252#msg4252). I'm not sure what you've tried to clean your jam. I'm also not sure how you're printing a new extruder block -- isn't this all metal? I think my problem is in the nozzle (see photo), so it may not be the same as your problem.

I'm wondering whether I need to have a supply of spare nozzles.
Bukobot Duo v2

TommyFive

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 12:42:28 PM »
I can't think of a single FDM printer that doesn't need fixing, tuning and maintenance.  You're going to run into issues with every printer out there.  The hobby printers are far from perfection, and the commercial ones aren't much better.

If you're running the old style extruder, see if you can upgrade to the all-metal Spitfire.  Or maybe you can grab another style extruder assembly?  Do you have pictures of your jam?  Can you share settings?

Herb

• View Profile
    • Herb Weiner
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 02:12:13 PM »
I would also like to see photos of Rawpork's jam, since we can all learn from each other's experiences.

Here are photos of my jam (Taulman 618 Nylon).

I don't expect the printer to be problem free. I would, however, appreciate tips and suggestions regarding how best to repair the problems when they do occur, and how best to prevent them from occurring in the first place.
Bukobot Duo v2

Up2it

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 01:41:10 AM »
Don't give up yet, I've had my printer for about 4 or 5 months now and I've had a FEW ABS print jobs print successfully. Still struggling with ABS. I've managed to get PLA to print out all day long, but for the life of me, i'm still troubleshooting ABS.

When you say keeps jamming, means the plastic stops coming out of the nozzle? What temperatures are you extruding at?

veejaybee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 07:03:10 AM »
I've got the original bukobot with the older extruder design (and am really jealous of you guys getting the new extruder).  I also had a lot of problems with the filament jamming and not feeding smoothly as I was starting up, but they have all seemed to clear up by using the proper temperatures.  For ABS I've settled on 250 C for the extruder and 100C for the bed (probably 80C is OK) .  I was always getting the filament stuck and the gear wouldn't push the filament through when I started with lower temps.  I use 220 C for PLA and a bed at 100C.  You just have to resign yourself to experimenting a little.  I'm going to try nylon next.

fixedtrd

• View Profile
    • Cokreeate
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 11:29:35 PM »
I too have the v1 bukobot and really wanting to upgrade to the new setup. :-[
But I notice every time I use ABS and then switch over to PLA i tend to jam the extruders.
Just make sure you're at about 250c for abs and when you switch to PLA make sure its at 250c and let the
leftover ABS inside the extruder extrude all out before printing.

maq3396

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 01:58:25 AM »
Seems to be the theme of the night!

Cant seem to finish any type of substantial print on my bukobot do v1

Using white reprap walmart pla with standard settings at 200degrees and bed 70

Print goes well, more or less, but the drive gear collects a tremendous amount of filament debris and needs to be cleaned at least every 20 minutes.

Prints are failing in a sudden cessation of printing although some of the pooorer sections can be "normalized" by pushing the filament through a bit

Temperature issue or drive gear trauma? My impression was that when extruding at 210 or above that it was getting pretty  gooey.

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 09:31:27 PM »
That is one of the lowest-quality filament suppliers, so you are likely to have some problems with any settings you try. That said, I would recommend trying printing at 210C with the platform at 55-65C. If the prints are too "gooey", that indicates that they are not getting enough cooling time (a print fan can help with this too). Decreasing extrusion temperature is not a sufficient substitute for proper cooling time.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines