Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: taulman 618 clogged my nozzle  (Read 1094 times)

Herb

• View Profile
    • Herb Weiner
taulman 618 clogged my nozzle
« on: September 15, 2013, 08:49:03 PM »
I just tried for the first time to print with Taulman 618 Nylon (which I purchased from Diego when I picked up my printer in August). I had my extruder set for 240 (which seems to be the default setting for Nylon). A little bit of the nylon came out of the nozzle before I started printing, but then the filament stopped feeding although the gear was turning. I tried retracting and refeeding the nylon several times, with no luck.

I removed the nylon, and tried feeding ABS filament (still at 240 degrees), but this would not feed either.

Any idea suggestions for what I need to do to get my nozzle working again?

Any idea what I did wrong with the nylon?
Bukobot Duo v2

Herb

• View Profile
    • Herb Weiner
Re: taulman 618 clogged my nozzle
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 06:44:01 PM »
Here are some photos of the disassembled nozzle. I don't know why the filament remaining in the nozzle is hollow, but I don't know of any way to remove it without breaking it off. I assume the only solution is a replacement nozzle.
Bukobot Duo v2

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
If you've already got the nozzle off, you can try carefully heating it with a small butane torch and pulling the plastic out with tweezers. Go slowly and be careful not to overheat it, and burnt plastic will just make problems worse. It's best to get the plastic just hot enough to release from the walls of the tube, while still staying solid enough to come out in one piece.

Up2it

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 01:18:48 AM »
Were you ever able to print with the nylon? and what version of the extruder do you have? V1? or V2? Just curious, because i also wanted to try printing with Nylon, but i have V1 and wanted to know what to expect.

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 01:47:17 AM »
People have successfully used 618 with our older extruders, but it works better on the new ones.

Herb

• View Profile
    • Herb Weiner
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 10:15:41 PM »
Were you ever able to print with the nylon? and what version of the extruder do you have? V1? or V2? Just curious, because i also wanted to try printing with Nylon, but i have V1 and wanted to know what to expect.

I have the V2 extruder. I haven't had a chance to try Rich's suggestion for cleaning my extruder with a butane torch, so I'm temporarily running with only one working extruder. I'm not going to try the nylon again until after I get my extruder cleaned.

Although I learn a lot about my printer with each failure I experience, I still don't understand why my extruder jammed in the first place, or why the jammed filament is hollow.
Bukobot Duo v2

Herb

• View Profile
    • Herb Weiner
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 10:28:35 PM »
I heated the nozzle with a butane torch as Rich suggested, and was able to remove the jammed filament in one piece. However, the hole in the nozzle was still plugged. I tried soaking the nozzle in acetone, but as I suspected, this did not help. And I don't know of any tool available that I can use to poke through the hole.

Therefore, I believe at this point that I need a replacement nozzle, as well as some spares (unless there's something else I can do to unplug nozzle). The Deezmaker online store has Budaschnozzle 0.35mm Nozzle Replacement (3 pack) for sale but indicates that these are not used with the current Bukobot models.

So, how do I get replacement nozzles for my v2?

I would also really like to understand if there's something I did wrong to cause the problem, or if this is an inevitable problem with nozzles. At this point, I'm afraid to try printing in nylon again.
Bukobot Duo v2

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 12:24:19 AM »
I pull a single bristle from a small wire brush if I need to poke something out of the nozzle.

Herb

• View Profile
    • Herb Weiner
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 10:32:36 PM »
I tried two different wire brushes. The bristle from one was too thick even for my unclogged nozzle. The bristle from the other one did fit through my unclogged nozzle, but it kept bending when I tried to unclog my clogged nozzle.

I'm not sure that this is worth the time I've already wasted on it. Is there any way to purchase extra nozzles? As I indicated, the ones I found in your online store were for the v1 printer.
Bukobot Duo v2

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 10:58:31 PM »
We don't have them up on the online store yet, but if you send me an email at rich@deezmaker.com, we can arrange to sell you one.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines