Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Printing Quality with Dual Extruders  (Read 827 times)

Herb

• View Profile
    • Herb Weiner
Printing Quality with Dual Extruders
« on: September 12, 2013, 08:15:58 PM »
I just tried printing the Giant Hollow Two Color World (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:15658) using PVC filament from ProtoParadigm.

I sliced this and saved the gcode using Slic3r using Combine multi-material STL files. Then, I printed the resulting gcode using Repetier-Host.

For each layer, the printer would extrude the first color, then move to Y=0 and pause, presumably to heat up the second extruder. The printer would then extrude the second color, then move back to Y=0 and pause, presumably to heat up the first extruder. (Because of all the pausing, it took over 24 hours to complete the object.)

The result was that as the extruders moved back into position to resume extruding, a strand of filament would often be dragged back toward the object, and would be left dangling (see photo).

A second result was that there are gaps of as large as 4 mm between layers in some places, presumably because of the cooling that took place between printing each layer (see second photo).

Are there any recommendations for changing my Slic3r settings to obtain better results? Or, would I obtain better results using another material rather than PVC? Or, are these the best results that I can expect to receive when printing with multiple extruders?
Bukobot Duo v2

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
Re: Printing Quality with Dual Extruders
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 08:37:31 PM »
We noticed some issues with this when we started printing samples for Maker Faire NY, and we're in the process of testing and revamping the dual extruder code. The temperature change code made a big difference on the old extruders, but seems to cause as many problems as it solves with the new ones. For now, try removing the toolchange gcode under Printer settings -> Custom gcode in Slic3r. You might want to save this with a new name so that you still have a copy of the old settings.

Herb

• View Profile
    • Herb Weiner
Re: Printing Quality with Dual Extruders
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 01:35:54 AM »
I just received a spool of the Lulzbot HIPS (as recommended in http://forum.bukobot.com/index.php?topic=3066.msg4584#msg4584 ) and expect to receive my Limonene next week.
I'm ready to try some prints using ABS and HIPS. So, I have a couple of questions:

1. I removed the toolchange gcode under Printer settings, but this resulted in only a minor improvement when printing ABS with dual extruders. What are the best settings for printing HIPS with ABS?

2. Can anyone recommend a small test object that requires support material, that I can use to test my settings, so that I don't waste large amounts of the HIPS just trying to get things working?

Thanks.
Bukobot Duo v2

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines