Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Issues while in manual mode  (Read 303 times)

Azirithdorr

• View Profile
Issues while in manual mode
« on: September 12, 2013, 07:02:09 PM »
Hi all,

I just finished constructing my Bukobot v2. X3 printer.

I'm having some issues and don't want to blow anything up, so I thought I had better ask after doing a bit of homework.

I've connected my printer and installed the driver plus the software. When I 'connect' the printer, it acknowledges just fine. I go to the manual movement mode and X axis works just fine - it moves back and forth the correct distance. I'm having issues with my Y Axis and Z however. First, the Y didn't really want to go at all, but now it does, but will only move forward ( the correct distance ) when you press either forward or backwards. I checked out the jumpers and XYZ all have two - one in the first position and one in the third.

The other issues seems to be my Z axis. The one side works just fine, but the other side is not moving at all, nor does it seem to be attempting to. If I switch connectors, the same is happening.

So yeah, I don't want to destroy anything - so any ideas? I don't know if maybe I have the wrong settings, or if there is something amiss with my board.

Sorry I'm so newb, but yeah, I don't want to break it!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 08:33:09 PM by Azirithdorr »

Azirithdorr

• View Profile
Re: Issues while in manual mode
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 07:03:46 PM »
Oh, one other issue too that could be related. None if my stops seems to be working ( though I can't tell with Z since I haven't moved it that much. X and Y hit the stops, engage them, and just, would, grind away if I didnt hit reset.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 08:29:53 PM by Azirithdorr »

Herb

• View Profile
    • Herb Weiner
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 08:26:34 PM »
You can determine whether your Z stop is working by manually pressing the switch to see if the one Z motor that is working stops. That won't tell you if it is correctly adjusted, but it will tell you if it is working.

It may be that the 3D printed threaded part that moves up and down the threaded rod is squeezing to tightly on the threaded rod when it slips into the 3D printed holder (sorry, I don't know what these parts are actually called). If the rod is too tight to turn by hand, the motor won't be able to turn it either. I had to slightly file down one of mine to make it work.
Bukobot Duo v2

Azirithdorr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 08:32:32 PM »
You can determine whether your Z stop is working by manually pressing the switch to see if the one Z motor that is working stops. That won't tell you if it is correctly adjusted, but it will tell you if it is working.

It may be that the 3D printed threaded part that moves up and down the threaded rod is squeezing to tightly on the threaded rod when it slips into the 3D printed holder (sorry, I don't know what these parts are actually called). If the rod is too tight to turn by hand, the motor won't be able to turn it either. I had to slightly file down one of mine to make it work.

Thanks Herb - that's very possible for the Z-axis. The Z-stop isn't working, but none of the others are either. I'll check the rod on my one motor and see if it's too tight, but I'm not even hearing a 'hum' from the motor when it's suppose to activate like I do for the others.

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 08:42:12 PM »
On the Z axis motors:

Pull off those motor connectors and check the resistance of the motor coils at those connectors.  Four pins per connector, two coils per motor  --  you should see similar resistance for each of the four coils in the two motors.

(Always power down the printer before unplugging or plugging in those motor connectors.)
Bukobot Duo v1

Azirithdorr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 10:36:34 PM »
I've been monkeying more - trying to narrow the troubleshooting:

I'm pretty sure my Z-axis issues are what Herb said - the rods are just too tight in the printed parts. I removed the rods from the motors and both motors ran just fine. I'll try to file it down a bit to make a bit looser fit.

The Y-axis issue still has me. Now, it has gone back to not doing anything. You manually control it, it makes a soft 'hissing' sound and lurches just a smiggin and then does nothing. I tried using the X-axis port instead to control Y and things worked just fine for Y, but X did the hissing thing. So, that seems to me to mean the motor is fine, but there is an issue in the controller or the chip or the programming. I swapped out the chip with the X-axis one and ( putting X and Y cables back in the right places ) and Y still acts up, but X works fine - that seems to eliminate the chip as the culprit. Sooo, that's where I stand; can anyone thing of settings to check or is my board's Y port shot do you thin;? It seems so odd that, at first it did the 'no move, but hiss' thing, then it moved, but only one direction (forward) when you pushed either forward or back, and now it's back to 'no move, hiss'.

Azirithdorr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 06:07:58 PM »
Couple of other notes too:

The Y-axis moves freely and smoothly by hand, so it doesn't seem to be binding anywhere. When you try to move it manually via the software, it 'locks' up - that is, you can't move it by hand anymore, so something -is- happening within the motor for sure, but it's just not moving.

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 08:24:44 PM »
Sounds like the MCU on your controller board has a defective pin connected to the DIR signal for the stepper driver. Send me an email at Rich@deezmaker.com to arrange a replacement. Be sure to include your shipping info.

Azirithdorr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 09:19:17 PM »
OK - email sent - thanks for both the info and the replacement!

Azirithdorr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 05:56:58 PM »
The new board arrived today.

I hooked it up, re-loaded the drivers and voila - it works like a charm; no more 'moving one direction when pushing either button', etc.

Thanks for the new board - I'll be sending the old one out tomorrow so you can return it to the manufacturers.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines