Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Extruder Stalling Problems  (Read 2527 times)

Milo

• View Profile
Re: Extruder Stalling Problems
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 02:20:48 AM »
I think I found the source of my problem. It seems that 2mm retraction was way too much, causing the filament to cool just enough to not comfortably extrude after. This seems to not be an issue if it's only one retraction here and there, but when you do something where it's retracting a fair bit, it quickly turns sour.
I changed retraction back down to 1mm and was able to successfully print the Manus model from thingiverse (seen failing in the video I posted).
Bukobot v2

Zigor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 06:03:12 PM »
I'm curious if anyone has a working V2 Spitfire extruder...  I'm having a hell of a time... I just cant get it to extrude consistently.

Anyone have video of a working one?  So I know what its supposed to look like

Zigor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 01:21:39 AM »
So no one has a working spitfire then?

I'm sorry I hate to be "that guy,"  but this extruder just is not working.  I have to stop it every 4-6 minutes remove the filament, cut off the end that has been stripped, and replace it.  Which is not a viable option.

I've tried many different temperatures, types of Filament, speeds, flow rates, adjusting the current, cleaning the gear, everything I've read and can think of, but it still does not work.

It runs for a few minutes then I hear a "ggrrrt....grt.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt" sound, and if I let it go it will just miss layers destroying the print.

I am not at all pleased with this right now.

I bought this printer, and built it from the kit fully expecting trial and error, but I have absolutely nothing to show for my work.

Any advice is appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:35:23 PM by Zigor »

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 08:24:22 PM »
We have a lot of working spitfire extruders here, and customers who are not coming here for support who are printing every day. Don't be too quick to judge from a small and skewed sample.

That said, I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. Be sure to be clear about what issue you're having. This thread was about an extruder motor stalling, but it sounds like you're having the opposite problem where the motor keeps turning but the filament will not move, and it grinds away filament, which usually indicates a clog.

For the issue of the extruder motor stalling when the idler is engaged (and ONLY try this if you're having this specific problem), we've had a few machines where the idler tension turned out to be too strong and created excess friction in the gearbox, leading to stalling. This is due to some of the delrin used to make the springy lever arms coming out too stiff. The fix is to remove the clear cam arm that locks the idler in place and modify it to lock with less tension. You can drill the hole out to 4mm and/or file down the groove that the nylon spacer locks into, but be sure not to loosen it too much at once and test extrusion in between, as making it too loose will cause other problems.

Zigor

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 11:46:59 PM »
My extruder is stalling.  That is why I posted here. 

I only mean that my extruder is not working.  It was the lack of any kind of reply that was causing me to have doubts, about its funcionality at all.

I've lessioned the tension by removing the 8mm bearing and replacing it with a 7mm wide washers and a 6mm wide washers (to test it out).  Neither solution works.

The nozzle is not clogged the filament flows through fine when pushed by hand.

The motor stalls/stops turning, but it also strips the filament.  How it does both I do not know.

I like this printer and I like the design, so I just want a solution.

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 02:09:15 AM »
If it both strips and stalls (it can't do both at the same time, but a mixed failure mode is possible), that would seem to indicate that the cause is too much resistance to extrusion. This can be caused by a clog, by insufficient nozzle temperature to properly melt the filament (or enough heat to melt it fast enough for the selected extrusion speed), or by the filament getting too thick (or being smashed too much by the idler, so that it is too wide in one direction only). I would suggest trying to clear your nozzle using the instructions I just posted in the wiki, just to make sure you don't have some kind of partial clog. Insufficent cooling on the cold end of the barrel can also cause the filament to expand and jam inside the barrel.

It could also just be caused by bad filament. Are you using filament that you got from us?

Zigor

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 05:20:31 AM »
I used up all of the red pla you supplied trying to get it to work.  The first time I printed the "first print" file I had this problem.  It has been consistent ever since.  I did switch to matter hackers black pro pla.

The most luck I've had at printing was using the matter hackers pla at 230 degrees, 7mm washers instead of the bearing, and feeding it through by hand to get it going.  Eventually though it would jam up and stop turning/ extruding.  I have zero prints where I haven't had to go in and fix it every 5 minutes or so.

I can try cleaning the nozzle but I've had these problems from the moment I first tried to print.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 08:25:26 PM by Zigor »

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 08:08:54 PM »
Your post got cut off. What did you switch to?

Zigor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 08:25:55 PM »
Okay I rewrote the part that was missing.

Zigor

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2013, 02:49:54 AM »
Update:

I traded the stepper drivers and now it no longer jams, but it still stops extruding about every 100 mm of z height of the print because it strips the filament.  230 degrees, black Matter Hackers PLA, feed rate 100, flow rate 100, .2mm layer, 12% Fill, Batbuddha from thingiverse, 7mm washers.

its not clogged it flows through just fine after I remove the stripped area.  Although I do not have any nylon to test it out for sure.

I just spent hours baby sitting a print for it to just fall apart because it missed so many layers.

Youtube video posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NABAtjpUF5A&feature=youtu.be

Let me know what i can do to fix this.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 05:45:53 AM by Zigor »

Zigor

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2013, 08:46:01 PM »
I posted that I was having this problem 2 and a half weeks ago (3 and a half weeks of problems in general).  It seems clear to me that at the very least a driver is bad.  I need a solution before it hits 3 weeks.

Let me know when you've seen the video I posted and I'll take it down.

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2013, 10:35:59 PM »
I noticed that in some of those shots, you were trying to extrude without the fan attached. You should NEVER do this, as it allows the plastic to melt too far up the barrel, and then the plastic will get stuck there and it won't be able to re-melt it later. One of the most difficult cleanouts I've done was because a user had been trying to print with his fan disconnected and this had happened.

First, you should switch back to the bearing in the idler. Trying to use a stack of washers instead will add a lot of friction. If your bearing is over-tensioned, use the idler modification I described above. I would also highly recommend cleaning out your nozzle with nylon. If you don't have any, send me an email at rich@deezmaker.com and I'll arrange to send you a few feet of it to use for cleaning. Also, if you're in the area, you're always welcome to bring your machine to the shop and we'll help you clean it out and identify the issue for you.

Zigor

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2013, 06:26:15 AM »
The fan was only off to get those shots. 

I will switch back to the bearing, make the mod., and let you know.  If I had gotten a reply sooner I never would have gone down the washer route.

Perhaps these should have been made with that modification in the first place.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 06:27:51 AM by Zigor »

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2013, 09:06:01 PM »
The parts as designed did not need the modification, and it was only a later batch of parts in which the delrin with the same nominal diameter turned out to be slightly thicker that made it necessary. We're working on solutions to this tolerance issue from several different angles.

Zigor

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2013, 09:36:47 PM »
Modification made.  It made no difference.

I will take you up on that nylon now.

I posted a new video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dA_GSGu_Js&feature=youtu.be

please let me know what this looks like.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines