Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Repetier-Host Settings  (Read 976 times)

Herb

• View Profile
    • Herb Weiner
Repetier-Host Settings
« on: August 21, 2013, 12:42:33 AM »
There are a few settings that I'm not sure about:

1. In the Printer Dimensions Settings, there are Home X (x min or x max or x=0), Home Y (x min or x max or y=0) and Home Z (z min or z max or z=0). What is the correct setting for each of these?

2. For the vanilla, the instructions specify X & Y = 0. For the Duo, the instructions specify X = 0 but don't specify Y. I assume Y should be 0 for the Duo as well.

3. For the behavior, it appears that Park Position has been renamed to Dump Area Position or Dispose Position. I assume these are all different names for the same setting.

4. The instructions specify Disable Motors twice, but do not specify Disable Extruders. I assume Disable Extruders should also be checked.

5. In the Print Panel of Repetier Host, X=0.0, Y=0.0, and Z=0.0 appear in red. I assume this is because the position is not yet known. If I hit Home for any of these, the motors appear to run the wrong way -- that is, away from the end stop switches. Is this because the Home X, Home Y, and Home Z settings are incorrect? Note that I have connected all motors with the red wire closest to the power input, as shown on the wiring diagram. Note that the wires on my motors are Red, Green, Yellow, and Blue, rather than Red, Blue, Green, and Black, as shown on the wiring diagram.
Bukobot Duo v2

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
Re: Repetier-Host Settings
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 07:18:51 PM »
1. All endstops are min (or 0, it's the same thing).
2. Not sure which setting this is in reference to, but it sounds right.
3. Yes.
4. Yes.
5. If your motors go the wrong direction, flip the cable around. Homing direction is a firmware setting, not a host setting. I'm working on a set of preflight instructions that includes checking motor directions.

Herb

• View Profile
    • Herb Weiner
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 09:30:30 PM »
OK, I have reversed the cables for the Y and Z motors, and I can now home the X, Y, and Z axis.

The motor for Extruder 2 appears to be correct. Viewing from the direction of the fan, it turns clockwise when I extrude, and counter clockwise when I retract.

However, the motor for Extruder 1 seems to have a problem. When I turn on extruder 1, the motor makes a noise like it is spinning, but the extruder gear does not turn, even though the gear appears to be tight on the shaft of the motor. I'm not sure whether there's something else I can try to get the extruder 1 gear to turn.

http://bukobot.com/host-slicing-settings states: Note: the XMin and YMin values assume you have adjusted the X & Y endstops so that they trigger when the extruder is even with the corresponding edge of the print area. For a Duo you should be looking at the right-hand extruder (Extruder 2) for the X endstop adjustment.

However, when the X plate is as far to the left (home) as it goes, the right extruder (extruder 2) of my duo is still 15 mm away (to the right) of the left edge of the glass plate, even with the X end stop switch as close as it gets to the rail. There does not appear to be any way to align the right hand extruder even with the left edge of the print area. Furthermore, when the X plate is as far to the right as it goes, the left extruder is about 15 mm to the left of the right edge of the glass plate.

Unless I am missing something, it appears that for the duo, the build area in the X dimension is slightly less than 7 inches, rather than the full 8 inches. I'm wondering whether the host slicing settings take this into account.
Bukobot Duo v2

Herb

• View Profile
    • Herb Weiner
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 10:21:10 PM »
Here's an update: The assembly photographs did not show how to assemble the extruder nozzles, and I got it wrong. While swapping the extruder motors (so that extruder 1 now works, and extruder 2 is inoperative), I have swapped the nozzles. I have attached two photos showing the incorrect and correct way to assemble the extruder nozzles. With this change, there is a full 8 inch build area in the X direction for the duo.

I will email Rich to arrange an exchange of my defective extruder motor.
Bukobot Duo v2

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 02:08:08 AM »
Ah, I was scratching my head trying to figure out why your nozzles weren't reaching the edges properly. That picture explains it entirely.

Bri-O

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 11:04:37 PM »
I think these pictures explain why I haven't been able to get both of my extruders mounted. It looks like there are two different hot ends one for the left and one for the right. I seem to have gotten two right hot ends. Both of my hot ends have the red wires going into the block to the left of the nozzle. In the above pictures one has the red wires going into the left of the nozzle and one has them going in to the right of the nozzle.

If I'm correct it looks like I'll need to swap out one of my hot ends for one of the opposite configuration.

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 11:13:16 PM »
There is a setscrew on the bottom of the heater block. If you loosen that, you can slide the heater cartridge out and insert it from the other side.

Bri-O

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 03:29:04 AM »
Yes that worked. You might want to add a picture like the one above to the assembly instructions. It would have saved me several hours.

kazektulu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 12:41:21 AM »
I am also having a problem regarding the First extruder in the new extruder duo - It is turning the wrong way on extrusion. They are constructed in an aesthetic manner to face each other, but the tatsu gear turns counter clockwise for extrusion and clockwise for retraction, since the feed is on the right side for the (left) extruder 1. I'm still looking for how to reverse the drive.

One thing to note, I am unsure if its involved, I am using the single extruder firmware until the second extruder is finished (otherwise it will not operate).

Herb

• View Profile
    • Herb Weiner
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 03:10:03 AM »
At the X3 board, turn your connector over so that the red wire is facing the opposite direction. It may not be aesthetically pleasing that the red wires don't all face in the same direction, but that's what you need to do to make it work.
Bukobot Duo v2

kazektulu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 03:25:53 AM »
I was able to find the command:
 #define INVERT_E0_DIR
 to change to TRUE in configuration.h loaded to the firmware to the board through the Arduino IDE. It fixed the direction problem. Now I'm just trying to get the filament to load. This seems basic, but maybe the barrel isnt centered to the Tatsu drive gear, more results to come with more trials. (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/deltabot/QeGA8WuANP8)
 It also does not grip the filament if I clip the acrylic switch, making me wonder if I should be using 1.75mm filament. I know for the purpose of simplicity, they were using 3mm exclusively, with exception of testing so far.

I was able to get it, just had to wiggle it around and hold it into a weird spot to get it to feed until melting through, before clamping it on, due to filament curvature.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 03:53:37 AM by kazektulu »

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines