Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Uploading Firmware to New X1 Board  (Read 4134 times)

Steps2light

• View Profile
Uploading Firmware to New X1 Board
« on: April 20, 2013, 01:18:33 AM »
I am getting this message in the Marlin 1.0.4...I don't see a Sanguino mega 1284 option in the BOARD menu.

IN the "Bukobot how to install page" it says to use Arduino IDE....What I get is Arduino 1.0.4...Is that the same thing?

#ifndef MOTHERBOARD
  #ifdef __AVR_ATmega1284P__
    #define MOTHERBOARD 62
  #else
    #ifdef __AVR_ATmega2560__
      #define MOTHERBOARD 34
    #else
      #error Oops!  Make sure you have 'Sanguino W/ ATmega1284p 16mhz' for an X1 or 'Arduino Mega 2560' for an X3 selected from the 'Tools -> Boards' menu.
    #endif
/pins.h:1136:2 error Unknown Motherboard value in Configuration

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
Re: Uploading Firmware to New X1 Board
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 03:10:43 AM »
You need to install the Sanguino support files included with Marlin.

Make sure you have the current version from here: https://github.com/whosawhatsis/Marlin/archive/Bukobot_config.zip

Go to the ArduinoAddons->Arduino_1.x.x folder, and copy the sanguino folder to the hardware folder inside your arduino sketchbook folder (you may need to create the hardware folder if it doesn't already exist).

Also, there seem to be some bugs with Marlin, Sanguino, and Arduino 1.0.4, so I suggest using 1.0.3 instead for now.

Steps2light

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 04:20:07 AM »
I uploaded the New X1 in Arduino App and got no errors "uploading successful"

However, in Repetier Host I get an immediate error "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application...Access to the port COM4 is Denied" after Connecting.

I have gone to the Device Manager and updated FDTI Drivers.

Tyson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 08:18:39 AM »

I had the same or similar error.  Also my first instinct was to update the FDTI drivers.

That wasn't the solution.   I had to reset something.  Maybe I just unplugged from USB and shut down Repetier, and plugged back in and restarted ... or I just did a reboot.   Then it worked fine.

Steps2light

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 06:18:48 PM »
Ok the reset and unplug did take care of that...So far I think I have uploaded the frimware correctly...now i am on to my next problem which is not in this category.

Steps2light

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 05:00:33 AM »
OK I am now on my 3rd board. I got the X3 for the original Bukobot that runs the X1. I got the X3 cause X1's are not in stock.

So should I download X3 or X1...I have the single extruder.

Where did the "Arduino Upload firmware" directions for the boards go?

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 08:40:21 PM »
You mean this? http://bukobot.com/software-to-install#about-printer-firmware

If you use the current firmware from https://github.com/whosawhatsis/Marlin/tree/Bukobot_config, it will automatically detect X1 vs. X3 based on which board you have selected in the Tools menu.

Steps2light

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 09:10:11 PM »
oh yes...thanks...I guess I didn't scroll to the bottom

Steps2light

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 05:01:36 AM »
ok...so I made it through the Arduino Upload.

Connected to Repetier

I am able to turn on the extruder and hot plate.

The fan and x,y,z motors do not move at all. I am using the same steppers from my original X1...are those OK?

I have the Z motors going into the same Z connection...that is OK right?

How is the fan supposed to turn on? is that in Repetier with the Fan Button or do I connect it inline with the power source connection as well like with the X1? I connected the fan to the Hot End 2.

Steps2light

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 05:20:18 AM »
On the Hot End 2 Driver Connections...do those 3 stems under the steppers need to be coupled?

And little confused on which way the motor wires connect....Does the red wire go in slot 2B or 1B?

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 08:00:29 AM »
On the Hot End 2 Driver Connections...do those 3 stems under the steppers need to be coupled?

I am confused by your terminology.  "Stepper" is ambiguous without sufficient context;  try to use terms like "stepper motor" and "stepper driver board" and "stepper motor connector".  And I don't know what you mean by "stems".  A picture would certainly help.

The fan mounted on the front of each extruder should be on all the time, so connect it to 12 volts.  You can connect extruder fans to the 12V screw terminals on the Azteeg (where the power supply connects).  Apparently some models of Azteeg also have another place where you can connect it.
Bukobot Duo v1

Steps2light

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 09:25:30 PM »
I am lacking in terminology and not finding a good place to tell me what some of these things are called....so explaining which items are a what is difficult.

At the moment I have no motor action....extruder and hot plate are on! Trying to figure out if there is something more to program? The Stepper stuff...I have no idea what I am talking about.

I have nothing plugged in or physically added to the 2nd extruder on the X3...so was wondering if something needed to be done there for my X1 running Bukobot.

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 05:26:24 AM »
Okay.  This is what I have gathered so far:

You have a single-extruder Bukobot, but are using an Azteeg X3 controller.

When you look for documentation or ask for help, don't think about X1 any more.  You have X3.  You can consider yourself the owner of a Bukobot Duo, but with one extruder missing (and perhaps with a narrower frame).  You can continue to use the Printer Profile (in Slic3r) for the single-extruder Bukobot, because Slic3r doesn't distinguish between X1 and X3.

I am looking at this image:  http://bukobot.com/_detail/wiki:jitsbuild:azteeg-mounted.png?id=jitsbuild-wires

In this image, along the right side of the board there are five small driver boards, plugged into the top of the Azteeg.  If you peek under them, from the right, you should see three jumpers under each.  If you instead see pairs of gold posts where jumpers could be installed, the jumpers need to be installed.  Each pair of gold posts needs a jumper.   (See the picture in the next post.)

The pair of thick wires from the extruder heater connects to the screw terminals labelled H-END1 (along the top edge).

The pair of thin wires from the extruder thermistor plugs into the two gold posts labelled E0 (along the left edge).

The bundle of four wires from the extruder stepper motor plugs into the connector next to the driver board labelled EXTR1 (along the right edge).

The motor connector probably needs to be flipped over relative to the way it was on the X1.  If you don't remember which orientation you used before, it's easy to find out the correct way:  Try it.  If the motor turns the wrong way, flip the connector over.

To test the extruder motor, issue the M302 command through your host software and then tell the extruder to retract.  (If you currently have filament in the extruder, keep the filament away from the Tatsu drive gear by shifting the lever.)  If the Tatsu drive gear in the extruder rotates in the direction that would pull filament up and out of your extruder, then the connector is correct;  if it turns the other way, flip the connector over.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 07:49:18 PM by jit »
Bukobot Duo v1

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 06:04:29 AM »
Found a picture of the three jumpers (labelled MS3, MS2, MS1).  The driver board at one end has been pulled off and set aside so you can see the jumpers. (This is for the older driver boards, which are labelled "SD82A".  For the newer driver boards, which are labelled differently, see the next post;  they are jumpered differently.)

If any of these jumpers are missing, the motor should still turn but will do so at the wrong speed.  If nothing turns at all, then something else is wrong.

(If a driver board has no motor connected to it, then it doesn't matter if its jumpers are there or not.  And it doesn't matter if the driver board is there or not.)

Also:  Note the orientation of the wires plugged in, barely visible at the left.  Most motor connectors on X3 machines will probably be oriented this way, but exceptions have occurred.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:42:59 AM by jit »
Bukobot Duo v1

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 08:20:36 PM »
With the new drivers, the jumper configuration is different. The X/Y/Z drivers are in 1/32-step mode and the extruders are in 1/8-step mode.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines