Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: ViKi LCD Controller - Firmware Support  (Read 2252 times)

Tyson

• View Profile
ViKi LCD Controller - Firmware Support
« on: March 08, 2013, 06:39:21 PM »
Now that ViKi is starting to ship:

http://www.panucatt.com/product_p/vikilcd.htm

It looks like the X3 had header pins already soldered to the expansion pins needed for the connection.

What has to be done for firmware support for an X3 board to be able to interface to the ViKi Controller?

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
Re: ViKi LCD Controller - Firmware Support
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 08:16:56 PM »
Marlin support is either ready or nearly ready in the newest version. As soon as I get my Viki from Roy, I can test it and post a new Viki-ready distribution.

Tyson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 12:41:55 AM »
Any update on this?

Thanks.

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 09:30:55 PM »
I was hoping that support for it would be merged into the main branch of Marlin by now, but there have been some concerns about organization of the code with all the different options for control panels showing up. I offered a suggestion about how to organize it that was well-received, and I think they're on the right track now, but if it's not read soon, I'm going to talk to buildrob about merging his version into my branch to get the LCD working.

I have a Viki that I'm itching to try out too, so I'm definitely not ignoring it.

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
And now for something completely different:

On Kickstarter, a different kind of jog controller...

http://kck.st/13IAXoG
Bukobot Duo v1

Tyson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 05:07:56 PM »

That Kickstarter project is something completely different.

However ... don't need another project to stack onto my uncompleted list.

Back to the ViKi, now sitting on my desk ... I have some hardware questions which in turn become firmware questions.

1.  Seems I will have to solder additional headers to the board.   Which ones will be used for the X3 ver.1.0?

2.  Firmware must need to be specific to this version of hardware, how is that done?   I see that the X3 ver.1.1 uses some of the expansion headers for the new expansion board, and adds and exp4 header, so I assume that will be different.  I would expect Roy from Panucatt would provide some basic support of code to get compiled in.

I think I am asking for a full course of education in question #2, but a few links to start in the right place would be helpful.

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 06:17:05 PM »

That Kickstarter project is something completely different.

However ... don't need another project to stack onto my uncompleted list.

I also don't need another project for my back burner.  But I supported that project anyway.  The basic kit is only $16.  I will stash the kit away for future use.

And it's not something completely different, not entirely.  It's a jog wheel, like the one that the Viki has built-in, but better.

Jog wheels are like keyboards or mice:  you should be able to hook up two or more at the same time, and their outputs are just added together.  So you can use the Viki's jog wheel for now, and add a second jog wheel later when you have more time.

The Azteeg has plenty of spare inputs for hooking things up, but somebody would have to add support for such a device to the firmware.  Hopefully somebody will do this after Stepperature delivers their Kickstarter rewards.

Perhaps Roy will add a header onto the back of some future version of Viki to support external jog wheels of this type.  Then no additional Azteeg firmware support would be needed, other than the Viki mods we are already waiting for.

As to your other questions:  Once Deezmaker finishes testing the Viki, they will post updated firmware files as well as instructions for adding the connector to the different kinds of Azteeg, if it's not there already.  This should be a pretty simple conversion.

They probably can't give us a date when all this will be ready, but I suspect they already know which pads they will be using on the Azteeg for the connector, and could tell us today if we ask nicely....   HINT HINT HINT    ::)

(By some odd coincidence, my Azteeg is not currently mounted on my printer, as I am rearranging some wires.  If my Azteeg doesn't already have a connector for the Viki, I would like to solder one on before I put the thing back together, so this information would be very timely indeed.)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 06:21:35 PM by jit »
Bukobot Duo v1

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 07:49:50 PM »
For the X3, you will definitely need EXP3 (EXP2 if you have an X1), which may not be soldered (it is on recent X3s). I think the rest of the pins needed are on the ICSP header (which should already be soldered). While you are soldering, I highly recommend just soldering male header pins to all of the EXP ports (it's also easier to solder the pins straight if you are using longer rows).

As for the code, I was working on it all day yesterday (on my day off) and I think it's ready for a preliminary release, but I have figure out the wiring and test it first. If you want to get ready, make sure you have the most recent version of the Arduino IDE. I found that it does not compile on versions prior to 1.0.2.

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 08:31:18 PM »
Heh.  I'm so lazy I didn't even get up to go look at my Azteeg.  I just went to the wires page on the wiki and lo and behold, there's a bunch of photographs of my Azteeg.  And it has all of the connectors you mentioned, ready to go.

Since those photos are like five months old, it seems likely that all of the Bukobot X3s already have the connectors in place.

I think maybe Roy planned all this out in advance.   8)
Bukobot Duo v1

Tyson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 09:21:42 PM »

I looked at pictures in my camera, so I also didn't have to get up.  I also have both those connectors soldered on the X3.

Here is a link for ICSP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Circuit_Serial_Programming_(ICSP)

Below is the ViKi pin descriptions from Panucatt documentation.   The first four are on the X3 EXP3 header, and probably all that are needed for basic operation without using the mSD card on the controller.  Also, just 4 wires connected to the X3 EXP3 header is what is shown in a picture of the ViKi working with an X3 on the Panucatt product site.

 +5v - +5 Volt supply, requires about 120milliamps for LCD and mSD card
 GND - Ground pin
 SDA - I2C SDA pin
 SCL - I2C SCL pin
 ENC_A - Rotary encoder pulse pin A, needs one digital pin.
 ENC_B - Rotary encoder pulse pin B, needs one digital pin.
 CS - Chip select for mSD card, needs one digital pin
 BTN - Button pin, goes low when button is pressed needs one digital pin
 Di - Data In for mSD, connect to MOSI (ICSP header)
 CLK - Clock for mSD, connect to SCK (ICSP header)
 DO - Data Out for mSD, connect to MISO (ICSP header)
 CD - Card detect, needs one digital pin

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 09:52:17 PM »
That picture only shows the power and I2C pins. This will make the display work, but not any of the buttons or encoder wheel, and not the uSD slot.

buildrob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 11:35:05 PM »
Ooops, I should probably have posted these Viki instructions in this thread. Anyway, there are here: http://forum.bukobot.com/index.php?topic=53.msg3527#msg3527

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 01:04:10 AM »
Ok, I have posted experimental Viki support at https://github.com/whosawhatsis/Marlin/tree/Bukobot-VIKI

You'll need to install the libraries in the Arduino Addons folder and use Arduino 1.0.2 or newer. For those not familiar with my new config scheme, you'll also need to open configuration.h and select the correct options at the top. For instance, if you have a Duo and don't have the new DRV8825 stepper drivers, you'll want to uncomment the DUO option and comment-out the DRV8825 option.

For an X3, you'll want the pins connected from the upper connector on the VIKI to EXP3 in this configuration:

Green | Blue
White | Red
Yellow | Black

For an X1, it should be the same order but on EXP2, except for the yellow wire, which needs to be in the same position on EXP1.

Instructions for hooking up the second cable for the uSD slot will come later, but the first cable will give you the primary control panel functionality.

If you try it, please report back with your success/failure, and what configuration you're using.

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 08:56:56 PM »
I just got my VIKI working (seems to be working on both X1 and X3). You'll need to install the included LiquidTWI2 library, and for X1 you may need to update your Sanguino library. You can find it here: https://github.com/whosawhatsis/Marlin/tree/Bukobot-VIKI-notbroken

Consider this a beta release, and let me know how it works.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines