Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Printer stops, mid-print  (Read 5031 times)

Steps2light

• View Profile
Re: Printer stops, mid-print
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2013, 06:21:01 AM »
Sooo....The previous link about the cord I suggested is the wrong one so do not get that one.

I got the double ferrite mini USB cord (6ft) and I have run about 20 prints and have not had a single interruption! YEAH!

Steps2light

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2013, 08:18:27 PM »
Still trying to figure this out. Previously I got the double ferreted cord worked non-stop for a month. Then it reverted back to mid-print stoppage or locking up before things began. I bought the same cord thinking maybe the USB cord blew up. I was able to print 1 object and then back to the same problems.

I have noticed when I  turn on the heat to the extruder and then turn on the heat to the heat bed the software (Repetier) locks up.

So not sure if I'm having a USB ferrite cord issue, Repetier, or microprocessor issue.

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2013, 09:15:55 PM »
<snip>
I have noticed when I  turn on the heat to the extruder and then turn on the heat to the heat bed the software (Repetier) locks up.
<snip>

Try this experiment again, while you are measuring the supply voltage.  Measure it at the Azteeg.

If that voltage drops significantly when you start to draw a lot of current, it might cause the Azteeg to act up, which might cause the symptom you see on your host software.

Excessive voltage drops there can be caused by problems with the cable between the power supply and the Azteeg, or the screw connections for that cable, or by the power supply itself.  Or, perhaps, by a heater drawing more current than it should.

Let us know how much the voltage drops.
Bukobot Duo v1

Steps2light

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2013, 02:07:18 AM »
thanks Jit that sounds like a good hypothesis.

I do notice when it goes off line...the fan slows down (to about 80% power I guess) and then resumes.

So the printer is still going towards its target temp however the software is locked.

Haven't been able to isolate particular voltage drop yet, as things are random. Will a particular voltage drop determine the source ? or do I need to switch everything out?

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2013, 05:12:34 AM »
<snip>
I do notice when it goes off line...the fan slows down (to about 80% power I guess) and then resumes.
<snip>

Ouch!  That doesn't sound right.  I've never heard my power supply fan slow down like that.

Four possibilities come to mind:

(1)  Voltage dropout from the wall socket.  But if you observe the symptom happening only when a heater is turned on, that's probably not it.  (And a good UPS should prevent this.)

(2)  Problem with the power supply.

(3)  Problem with the Azteeg controller.

(4)  A heater is drawing way too much current.

Try this:  Unplug printer from wall, and unplug USB cable too, wait for a minute, then measure the resistance of each heater element.  Measure at the Azteeg, right at the screw terminals (you don't have to disconnect the wires):  H-BED, H-END1, H-END2 (if you have both).

My Helios platform heater measures 1.3 ohms, and my hot ends are about 7.6 ohms each.

Try this too:  Measure platform heater with one hand while you move the platform back and forth with the other.  Then measure hot end heater while moving the X carriage back and forth.  You shouldn't observe the resistance changing while you are moving the carriage;  if you do, perhaps there is an intermittent short happening while the cable is flexing.  (A long shot perhaps, but a good thing to rule out...)

A dead short happening in a heater circuit would be a bad thing, and might explain what you are observing.
Bukobot Duo v1

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2013, 01:23:44 AM »
Check that your power supply is set to the right input voltage for your country. They come factory set to 220 because it is safe to plug a device expecting 220 in to a 110 socket, but not vice versa. Most of our customers are in 110VAC countries but for the safety of the others, we can't pre-set them to 110 and have to leave it for the customer to do. If you forget this step, the machine will seem to function, but the voltage will drop when you start pulling a lot of current (especially turning on the heated platform), and your platform may not be able to reach the proper temperature for printing ABS. It stands to reason that it would also make the machine more sensitive the the type of problem you are seeing, and everyone having this issue should check their input voltage switch.

Steps2light

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2013, 09:49:19 PM »
So as far as I think I have the switch at 110V for Washington State voltage...unless the sticker was put on upside down. The direction of the  switch is in the opposite direction on the terminals.

I checked the power wires to the heater platform and a problem was found there. The wires crossed perpendicular and were touching each other and they had melted together through their red and black plastic insulation. I cut that off and re-installed them. Still having the same problems though.

I had a part that tested the Z axis and I had a couple things got stretched. So the short in the wires could be an issue. Can you pull a wire apart, but because it has been stretched you can't see the break?

I think I fried my multimeter cause now it does not move. So I can't check ohms at the moment. But the moving the carriage test may be a something.

Was thinking to just rewire all the power supply wires. What is the specific type of wire for the power/heater wires?

Is there any other kind of damage that can happen with shorted wires or is the only thing that can happen is nothing works?

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2013, 08:58:47 PM »
If the wire melted its insulation, you should replace it. If the wire shorted, it could have done other damage to the controller board, but if it's still able to heat the platform at all, that's unlikely.

Multimeters usually have a replaceable fuse, sounds like yours needs a new one.

We recommend no less than 16 AWG for the wires going from the powersupply to the board and from the board to the platform. If you want to go all-out, high-flex silicone-insulated wires would be best.

NoiseReduction

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2013, 12:44:26 PM »
Still trying to figure this out. Previously I got the double ferreted cord worked non-stop for a month. Then it reverted back to mid-print stoppage or locking up before things began. I bought the same cord thinking maybe the USB cord blew up. I was able to print 1 object and then back to the same problems.

Issue also persisting here with the same stubbornness! Now I went back to using the printer and it stops after 2-3 hours, heaters stay on indefinitely but all the motors just STOP and Repetier gives NO error message. What a nightmare! This is making me give up on the printer, and it's a real bummer. UPS didn't solve the problem. Shorter USB cable didn't either.

Herb

• View Profile
    • Herb Weiner
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2013, 07:58:46 PM »
Repetier gives NO error message.

I assume you scrolled back in the log to check for errors. A while back, when I was getting brown out resets, the message was not visible unless I scrolled back to find it. In my case, the error was caused by a bad cable connecting the power supply to the controller board.
Bukobot Duo v2

NoiseReduction

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2013, 11:34:21 PM »
Yep, even checked out the actual log file, just in case some message was not displayed in Repetier, but logged.

NoiseReduction

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2013, 06:39:10 PM »
Just brought the printer to work, installed it on a PC, and same problem just happened, 30 minutes after starting a job.

I wish Repetier gave me a "power reset" or "USB connection lost" error! Without ANY sort of clue, how the hell am I supposed to figure out the problem here?

The software just says "job in progress" but motors STOP and heaters stay ON. That forces me to STOP the job and Disconnect/Connect to the printer again in order to regain manual control. Does that seem like a USB connection loss?

Tried all of these:
- UPS power w/ battery backup;
- New USB cables w/ ferrite core;
- Moving printer to different location/different computer/different OS;

I spent a lot of money on this particular problem, and I'm not even close to finding a solution yet.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 07:08:07 PM by NoiseReduction »

Herb

• View Profile
    • Herb Weiner
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2013, 01:23:59 AM »
If you have an X3 controller board (standard with Duo), you can try printing from a micro SD card (copy your gcode to the card, and initiate the print from the computer). Once the print begins, you can disconnect the USB and the print will continue. If the print fails with this setup, it's not the USB.

(If you have an X1 controller board, I don't have any suggestions other than what you've already tried.)
Bukobot Duo v2

NoiseReduction

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2013, 03:21:18 AM »
I did pay extra for the X3, yes! :) That's an awesome idea, thank you so much!!

Does the X3 already come with an SD reader? I don't remember seeing it, but I guess it could be tiny? I thought I had to buy one to connect there. Will the printing begin once I insert the card? There's no LCD or anything... :P

You're a genius, thank you!

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2013, 05:44:29 AM »
There is a microSD card slot near the USB port on the X3.

To use it, see http://bukobot.com/azteeg-x3-using-sd-card.
Bukobot Duo v1

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines