Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Printer stops, mid-print  (Read 5030 times)

Mark

• View Profile
Re: Printer stops, mid-print
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 02:35:35 AM »
I'm confused, do I need to go out and buy a Raspberry PI and learn all this stuff just to plug in my printer???

I thought I could just plug in printer to wall power and then attach USB cord from MAC to Printer.

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 02:42:56 AM »
No, you don't need a Raspberry Pi. The Raspberry Pi is just another computer (a particularly inexpensive one, that you can afford to dedicate to the task) that can run the printer. You can also just use your regular Mac/windows/linux machine.

Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 02:48:47 AM »
Got it.  thank you.

NoiseReduction

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 05:57:43 AM »
Sorry to bring this back, guys - but I installed a new UPS and the printer keeps stopping mid-print.

I already printed a pretty basic object successfully, and now I'm trying to print copies and it's stopping at a different level each time.

The log doesn't seem to give out an error - the instructions just stop:

"7:34:38 PM: ok T:208.4 /210.0 B:0.0 /0.0 @:127 B@:0
< 7:34:39 PM: ok
> 7:34:39 PM: N6636 G1 X93.17 Y86.86 E13.3765 *126
< 7:34:39 PM: ok
> 7:34:39 PM: N6637 G1 X57.17 Y122.86 E14.0695 *66
< 7:34:39 PM: ok T:208.3 /210.0 B:0.0 /0.0 @:127 B@:0
"

The temperature seems to start going down slightly (down about 8 degrees) before it happens, then is stays there even after the printer stops. The job still has the option to be stopped, and the software behaves like it thinks it's still printing. Sometimes it stops at layer 3, others at layer 47.

What the hell can this be? Please, help.
The last thing I wanted to deal with is problems with no traceability :/ I understand if it was just tricky to assemble and setup, but once running, I expected it at least to be mostly reliable.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:03:32 AM by NoiseReduction »

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 03:17:40 AM »
What other electronics to you have running in the area? One customer told me that his machine would lock up any time a certain camera flash (xenon, I think? I know it was one with a transformer that stepped it up to several thousand volts) went off within about a meter of the controller board, and we surmised that it must be an EMP produced by the flash. Is it possible that you have something in the area producing similar electromagnetic interference? Maybe try it in a different room?

PhracturedBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 10:10:45 PM »
I know you said you don't believe in USB cables causing issues, but I've specifically had this issue with my Bukobot so I am wary.
Have you tried shorter cables/alternate cables?  Have you tried powering the Azteeg directly with the 12V supply as opposed to the USB cable?  Your problem absolutely sounds like the azteeg board resetting itself, so trying alternate power solutions might be a good idea.
  I'd also recommend trying a faraday cage around the azteeg just to be sure, though I'm not sure of the best way to build one with good rf protection that won't short out or overheat the azteeg board.

Tyson

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 05:04:05 PM »
My experience is that I have had it stop exactly in time with the click of the switch as I turned off a fluorescent light plugged into the same outlet.  I am very sure this was not a coincidence down to the fraction of a second.   I now keep my 3ft USB cable with ferrite away from other cables and any extra length coiled and out of the way.  Haven't had more problems but I also have been careful not to turn things on/off plugged into the same circuit.

The latest release (few days ago) of Repetier-Host mentions this in the release notes:

Better error correction with Marlin.
   Set DTR to off on connect. Reduces error rate on some boards.

Not sure if these could be related.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 05:06:12 PM by Tyson »

Steps2light

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 09:09:41 PM »
I am having the same phenomenon...prints stopping midpoint. I seem to get 1 full print per turning it on and off 10 times.

I did buy the before mentioned battery pack...and no change.

Tried Pronterface...stopped again.

Got the USB cord in the Bukobot Kit that is 2-3 feet with the Ferret Bead.

Tried different parts of the day....I think one time the TV got turned on and it stopped.

I try and reset Repetier by turning it off ... unplugging the USB...then turning it back on. It seems like their is an echo and previous session is still there. Is there a way to fully clear the program of Repetier?

Is this purely electrical or does faulty parts act the same?

Steps2light

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 09:48:38 PM »
I just searched for some directions on my iphone through wifi...and the Printer stopped....Is that possible or coincidence?

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 08:30:25 PM »
I'm working with Roy from Panucatt to see what can be done to prevent this. The issue appears to be localized to the USB chip, and the actual microcontroller is not effected. This means that prints from an SD (for those with an X3, VIKI, and/or SDRAMPS add-on) should be unaffected.

Steps2light

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 03:24:48 AM »
So does this mean at this moment there is nothing else to do? or should I go deep into the woods where there are no smart phones?...

....or should I get an X3?

...and when you say "working on it"....does that mean soon or many months from now...or....should I just get a different micro-controller or USB cord/chip?

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 04:05:16 AM »
The problem occurs in the interaction between the power supply and the USB chip. Roy suggested getting a shielded USB cable with ferrite beads on both ends.

You don't need to get an X3 if you want to print from SD. You can do it on an X1 by adding an SDRAMPS board like this one: http://www.makerfarm.com/index.php/sd-ramps.html

Steps2light

• View Profile

Steps2light

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 07:48:47 PM »
Curious about the SD...where would you add that to a X1?

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 07:50:36 PM »
There's a 2x4 pin header (unpopulated) next to the thermistor connectors specifically designed for connecting an SD add-on.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines