Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Jit's build instructions  (Read 2408 times)

redteam316

• View Profile
Re: Jit's build instructions
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 06:31:55 AM »
Jit,
I think I'm about halfway thru the build and here are my notes so far. It has some improvements and questions I am wondering about. Please review it (I'm not completely thru so I may be wrong) and I'll post back later with anything else I think is omitted or relevant.

Code: [Select]
====================
X Left End
====================
Does the UHMW Washer absolutely have to be flush when inserted into the circular opening? It sticks out past the edge about a 1/16th of an inch. A picture showing the part from this angle would be good.

====================
X Right End
====================
Does the UHMW Washer absolutely have to be flush when inserted into the circular opening? It sticks out past the edge about a 1/16th of an inch.  A picture showing the part from this angle would be good.

====================
Y Carriage
====================
Find your platform mount kit and get out the three flat-head screws (in the small bag with the orange pieces, Bag 14b).

====================
Y Back End
====================
The picture at the top of the page showing the parts list is missing the two M5x8mm button head screws.

Set this aside. You should have two M5x8mm screws and two M5 slim nuts unused from Bag 12, put them back in the bag for now as they will be inserted into one of the aluminum channels when building the Y axis.

====================
Y Axis
====================
Insert Y Axis Screws
.... From Bag 12, get two M5x8mm button-head screws and screw one nut on each, just until the nut is flush with the end of the screw.

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 06:59:15 AM »
Regarding the UHMW nuts:  They should not be tilted.  That's what's most important.

I could never get them seated all the way in those cylindrical hollows in the X left end and right end pieces.  Those hollows are on the underside of a printed part, so it's not possible to print them precisely, so you would have to carve them down to full depth somehow if you want the nuts to be flush.  I don't think it matters.

The UHMW nuts should not be tilted, they should be securely held in place so they don't shift, and the horizontal steel rods need to be parallel with the frame bottom.  That's all that really matters about the UHMW nuts.

Regarding the other hardware you mention, and the bags they are found in:   I have no idea where any particular item will be found in the kit now.  I was an early adopter, and I got a collection of unmarked bags that are notably different than the ones shipping now.  And I got an incomplete Bill of Materials that had errors.  Other people are adding the details about which bags are which now.

When I got to a point where I needed a particular part, I looked in the bag I thought it should be in, and if it wasn't there, I just searched through the pile of remaining bags until I found the right part.  More than once I had to obtain additional parts from Deezmaker;  I think they have the BOM straightened out now, so other people will probably not have to do that.  I had hundreds of photographs of various generations of Bukobot to refer to, and I could ask questions, and that's how I built mine.  I am relying on others to tell me when I've done things wrong.  I am still re-photographing parts of the build, to more closely resemble the kits being shipped now, and there are probably still things on my printer that Deezmaker would consider wrong.  I have still not powered it up!

I'm not an expert on the Bukobot;  I'm just one of the first Kickstarter supporters to start documenting a build.  I have been assuming all along that other people would find all the errors and omissions, and complete the documentation.   HINT HINT HINT
Bukobot Duo v1

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 12:07:35 AM »
This page shows where parts can be found in the current kits: http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list

redteam316

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 07:48:19 AM »
Thanks for the link.

I didn't have pictures on the parts list I received and have been comparing it to the wiki parts list with pictures. I am pretty sure now that I am missing one Fan Mount and three M3x16mm Button-Heads. The M3x16mm are not an issue because I picked up some extras at the local hardware store, but I am concerned about the 2nd Fan Mount. Is it necessary if I only print with one head initially even though I have a Duo and both hooked up? I figure I can hack together a temporary zip tie or other solution until I can print another Fan Mount. Does the 2nd hot end heat up even if I'm only printing with one head? This would be nice to know so others that may be missing it or somehow break or lose it can still get up and running.

More about the parts list...the one I received was color-coded with the plastic printed parts in red, hardware in blue, and other misc/buyout items in black. I found this to be a nice addition to the parts list. I took a quick look at some of the wiki documentation but didn't see how to specify colors. If it's possible, I think it would be a great addition to the parts list to have it color-coded also.

I got a bit further tonight and am about halfway thru the z-axis part. The UHMW Adhesive Tape Strips(which each are about 1.3cm wide) that stick to the Slider Pads(I have the old version with no center hole) aren't as wide as the pads(which are 2cm wide), but the picture shown in the build shows it wider. I'll take some pictures of it and update the wiki later this week after I get thru it, but as far as I can tell, they should fit into the pad corners, but there are 8 pieces of tape instead of 4.

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 12:56:27 AM »
Yeah, they changed the tape after some kits went out.  I didn't get that tape, so it will be good to have your additional pictures.

With the wider tape, the procedure started with sticking the center of the tape against the center face of the tab, then wrapping the tape around the tab.  Of course that center face of the tab doesn't really need the tape, since that face doesn't touch anything, it just sits there in the middle of the aluminum slot.  The other four faces (forming two concave right angles) do contact the aluminum, so they need tape.  So just put the tape on those faces, covering those four faces as much as possible.

When you install these parts on the extrusion, make sure you don't catch the edge of the tape on the edge of the slot and peel it back from the face.  This is something we didn't have to worry about with the wider tape.
Bukobot Duo v1

Lightn

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 03:10:40 PM »
I also appear to be missing the 2nd set of parts for the fan mount.  I haven't gotten to that step yet, but my printed parts list and the web site say that there should be 2 sets for a Duo.

I am bit confused about attaching the terminal block to the X carriage.  Specifically the line "Also add a terminal block (six positions per extruder) and M2.5x16mm socket-head screw and nut (one set per extruder)".  Where should these parts come from?  I can't seem to find them.  I left it for later, but I still haven't found them.

Also it is mentioned that one screw is left over for later use with the X tensioner, however there is also another screw and nut left over.

pvanallen

• View Profile
Re: Jit's build instructions -
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 07:01:20 PM »
Yeah, they changed the tape after some kits went out.  I didn't get that tape, so it will be good to have your additional pictures.

I just uploaded pictures (actually taken by Diego) that show the application of the new tape to the sliders. I had these for my kit, and it worked just fine.

http://bukobot.com/jitsbuild-z-axis

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 09:17:15 PM »
I also appear to be missing the 2nd set of parts for the fan mount.  I haven't gotten to that step yet, but my printed parts list and the web site say that there should be 2 sets for a Duo.

I am bit confused about attaching the terminal block to the X carriage.  Specifically the line "Also add a terminal block (six positions per extruder) and M2.5x16mm socket-head screw and nut (one set per extruder)".  Where should these parts come from?  I can't seem to find them.  I left it for later, but I still haven't found them.

Also it is mentioned that one screw is left over for later use with the X tensioner, however there is also another screw and nut left over.

That last screw and nut is for attaching the cable to the other side of the carriage, as shown here:

http://bukobot.com/jitsbuild-x-axis#x-axis-cable

Yes, you should have two fan mounts.

The terminal block(s) should be in bag 5a (did your kit come with that bag?):

http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list#endstops
Bukobot Duo v1

Lightn

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 12:51:53 AM »
That last screw and nut is for attaching the cable to the other side of the carriage, as shown here:

http://bukobot.com/jitsbuild-x-axis#x-axis-cable

Right, I found that later. I just thought it should be mentioned in that part of the instructions.

The terminal block(s) should be in bag 5a (did your kit come with that bag?):

http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list#endstops

Sorry, I should have been more specific, I meant the part about the M2.5x16mm screw and nut.  That isn't in bag 5a.

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 01:33:50 AM »
The language has been clarified on the X carriage page, to mention that last screw and nut.

I don't know where they bag the hardware to mount the terminal block nowadays.  Will find out.
Bukobot Duo v1

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 01:52:45 AM »
It's an M3x16mm screw and nut, and they should be in 5a.

Lightn

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 02:02:30 AM »
I can't seem to get an M3 nut down in between the posts.  However an M2.5 nut fits nicely, but I don't think I have any extra M2.5 screws...

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 02:10:14 AM »
The head of the M3 is a bit tight in the terminal block, but it is needed to properly grab the slot in the X carriage plate. What you want to do is put the screw in the hole in the terminal block, put the nut on the end, and tighten the screw to pull the M3 head down between the screw terminals. Once the head is down, you can loosen the nut enough to slide it onto the slot in the X carriage plate.

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 08:09:39 AM »
I described it as an M2.5 screw on the X carriage page.  That's the part I got.  Must be one of those "early adopter" things.  Or we just picked out the wrong part.

I'll change the page to say M3.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 02:43:10 PM by jit »
Bukobot Duo v1

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 05:16:52 PM »
We did make some of the early kits with the M2.5 screw. It was easier to insert, but it was harder to get it to grab the slot on the X carriage plate properly, so we decided to go with the M3.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines