Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Jit's build instructions  (Read 2775 times)

buildrob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Jit's build instructions
« on: November 13, 2012, 11:50:10 AM »
Jit, I just wanted to say that you're doing an awesome job with the build instructions!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:30:38 PM by Diego »

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Jit's build instructions
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 01:31:08 AM »
Well, I can only say this about that:

Don't do it the way I did it.  Takes way too long.

Instead, do it without taking a zillion photographs, and without writing everything down too.  Should take less than a day then.
Bukobot Duo v1

fixedtrd

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 04:52:42 AM »
thanks Jit your build helped alot.

Panopticon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 08:33:47 PM »
I was able to piece together some of the frame with Jit's build though I've decided to wait until I get a full parts list for the Vanilla. I picked up a pre-orderd Bukotbot from the Maker Faire in NY (some of the parts are missing) so I feel a little reluctant attempting to build without official instruction/parts list. Anyway, how was your experience with the build Jit, was there any particular area of your construction that proved to be a little tricky? Would love to see any results.

-m

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 06:34:08 AM »
Whenever I found something to be a bit tricky, I went back and tried it a different way, until I found what appeared to be the easiest method, at least for me.  And that's what I documented.

The text points out what I consider to be the trickiest bits.  None of them are very bad.  I think this is a really good design.

Perhaps the most important idea is, don't break stuff while you are trying to assemble the machine, and don't hurt yourself.  Go slow, don't apply a lot of force to the plastic parts or to anything else, file things down or use the other tools mentioned to make things fit.

My documentation is fairly complete now, but was only finished last weekend, so have another look if it's been a while.  The guys at Deezmaker have had a few days to look at it now, and haven't pointed out any really severe mistakes, so maybe there aren't any.  :-)

You've had your machine since NY Makerfaire?  Some of the parts have been improved since then.  Write to Diego and remind him about the missing parts, maybe he'll send you some new improved parts at the same time.  He can also send you the current Bill of Materials for your model.  But don't expect a quick response, as all the Deezmaker people are really busy right now, packing and shipping.

I hope to power up my printer for the first time this coming weekend.  Will take more pictures then.
Bukobot Duo v1

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 07:16:34 PM »
To be more specific:

The kits they are shipping right now are different than the ones that went out first, in these ways:

Some of the X left end and X right end parts, and the Z slider parts that connect to them, have changed.

Some of the extruder parts have changed.

The printed plastic parts for the above are different now, and some of the other hardware is different too, but these are just a few nuts and bolts I think, and the extruder bearing.  The build I documented is now using the latest parts, and it will be obvious from the pictures that your older parts go together differently.

I think only a few machines went out with the older designs.
Bukobot Duo v1

PhracturedBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 07:41:53 PM »
I wanted to thank you for your awesome directions.  I'm not quite done yet, but so far your instructions have been crystal clear, and I've had no issues going through the steps.

3dmotyl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 06:45:38 PM »
Ditto on the great instructions.  Thanks very much for taking the time to put them together.

A couple notes:

I used an 8" piece of an old engine oil dipstick (yes, I keep a lot of odd things around) with a little bend in it to reach into the extrusion channels and stop the pesky nuts from spinning for the frame construction.  Any piece of spring steel would work the same, of course.

After reading a warning somewhere about being careful to plug in the servos correctly I spent some time looking at the schematic for the board and was a little nervous that the wiring colors were not the same and the "red" connection was at the opposite side.  Yikes!  Good news: just attach as shown in the instructions and they will work fine!

Sean.

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 08:08:54 PM »
I use the end of the 1.5mm hex wrench for reaching in and holding a stubbornly loose nut, though the spring steel bit makes me realize that one of my lock picks would work even better. Also, I found that if you use an electric drill with the torque turned all the way down and a 3mm hex driver bit installed, you can spin the screw while wiggling the drill around to make the nut catch on something and tighten.

The Bukobot does not have any servos. It uses stepper motors, which are not as sensitive to being plugged in backwards (it only reverses the direction).

PhracturedBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 04:21:46 AM »
By the time I was done, I'd just about stripped my 2mm allen wrench.  I'm glad I used the ball-end wrenches I have, as they don't tend to strip as easily.  Still those little wrenches can strip out easily.
Also, I thought I'd be smart and try to use a tap set to thread some of the 'self tapping' M3 screw-holes.  This turned out to be a mistake as it is very easy to strip out the holes when using a tap on the plastic.  Luckily I didn't do any irreparable harm.  It is probably better to just use the provided screws to thread the plastic pieces.

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 07:47:24 AM »
I only found a few places where I had to widen a hole that was going to get a self-tapped screw.  They are obvious when you find them;  it takes a disturbing amount of force to get the screw to go in, and it's probably heating up the screw to the point where a lot of the plastic around the hole is melting.  Not good.

When you find those, back the screw out and widen the hole a bit at a time with a needle file, trying the screw until is goes in fairly easily.  Or, use a drill bit, after first making sure it's not so big that it makes it impossible for the threads to hold the screw.

The page on 'cleaning up printed plastic parts' needs a lot more development.  Please add good ideas to that page.  (Or any other.)
Bukobot Duo v1

PhracturedBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 01:46:11 PM »
It was the slides for the z-axis that gave me difficulty.  Unlike in your instructions, where they use one bolt with a nut for each of the slides, mine had 2 self-tapping holes in each part (and no center hole with a nut).  Getting those holes tapped was very frustrating.

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 02:08:17 PM »
 ;)

This is one of the reasons why they changed the Z slide parts and the X left and right ends after we got ours...

If you look carefully, you'll see that some of my pictures show the old parts and some show the new.  I swapped them out part way through.
Bukobot Duo v1

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 02:13:48 PM »
Re:  what to use to reach in and stop nuts from spinning:

I was tempted to use the small ball-end hex driver for this, but then I switched to a jeweler's screwdriver.  The reason:

Sometimes the nut grabs onto the tool really hard when you tighten the screw, and you have to pull pretty hard to get it out.  If you use your ball-end tool, you might destroy the little rubber nubbin on the side of the ball head.
Bukobot Duo v1

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 01:59:01 PM »
Weeks after the docs were started on the wiki, we're still finding errors and omissions in them, and we're still putting more errors in there.  Multiple people are contributing to the docs, and we try to check each others' work, but mistakes still creep in.

If you find something in the docs that is clearly wrong, or is not explained adequately, please do mention it on the forum, or just go in and edit the wiki.

It should be pointed out that nearly all of the work on the documentation known as 'jit's build' is being done by people who aren't Deezmaker employees, they are just Deezmaker customers like you.  It's the open source way.  Please contribute what you can.   8)
Bukobot Duo v1

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines