Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Filament and Filament Vendors  (Read 3076 times)

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
Re: Filament and Filament Vendors
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2013, 08:47:07 PM »
Irawans, what surface are you trying to print on? What is that green stuff? For ABS, you should have the included glass covered with a layer of the orange polyimide tape. It also looks like you're pressing the layer down too hard, which can cause it to peel up.

Irawans

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 02:22:45 AM »
I was trying to print ABS on a glass with the orange tape. Because of on the other side of the glass is the Paint Blue tape, the orange tape looks like a green tape.

I did think that I pressed too hard on the glass, I have adjusted it, but end up the same or the z-axis is too high. Actually, sometimes I have hard time to adjust the z-axis to be precisely right. I followed the method to adjust the z-endstop on Jit page. Do you have any other suggestions /  methods about this ?

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 11:49:46 PM »
You shouldn't have blue tape under the glass. It will insulate the platform, and the glass won't be as hot as it's supposed to be.

Irawans

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2013, 04:32:14 AM »
Oh, I made a horrible mistake... :o

mishafarms

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2013, 06:45:36 AM »
I have been playing with my bukobot for a little while now and have found some filaments that work ok and some that work great.

I first got a couple of spools of JET PLA 3mm, I had a lot of problems at first but have recently increased the temp, and tuning my bukobot seems to have helped as well. The 2 big problems with this was sticking to the tape and skipping/sticking to the previous layers. Temp and diameter seems to have fixed this.
the other thing I noticed about this filament is that it is oval. 2.85~3.0, I set my diameter to 2.94 and that seems to work as well, printing these at 210 or 220 (glow in
the dark) now works everytime. I got these all from amazon.com.

I have gotten diamond age from printbl.com and it has all worked flawlessly.

I have also gotten some spools from makergeeks.com, The PLA is recieved printed great. I also got the exotic filament sample and everything in it printed well except I did not get the 618 nylon to stick to the painters tape. I just received a garulite sheet which I will cut and test with. and I have not printed with
laywood yet.

so settings for me are
PLA first layer temp 190 other layers 190. my diameter is 2.85 I enable cooling and set the min time to 25 seconds.
eco FlexPLA first layer temp 220 other layers 220 my diameter is 2.85 and I set the extrusion multiplier to 1.1 it seems that the filament didn't stick to the
previous layer without this and I didn't want to fudge the measured diameter. enable cooling 25 seconds min layer time.
laysand first layer this all depends on how smooth you want the surface so it prints from 165 to 210, I didn't see as much differnce with the temp. I need to print more
PET first layer 210 other layers 210 diameter 2.75 cooling enable 25 seconds min layer time. I only printed with this once so far. I had a layer adhesion issue and I needed to do some other things and I haven't gotten back. The part that adhered was very nice.

Eco FlexPLA is a pliable filament that you can print flexible things like tires.
PET is a strong plastic.
laysand is a chalk based filament that prints like sandstone and can be smooth or rough depending on temp.
laywood is a wood based filament that prints differnet colors with differnet temps (higher makes it darker).
taulman 618 nylon is a nylon filament and has many uses. I know that Diego is printing some things with it. He may have better info on how to get it to stick.

Makergeeks ships for free and their prices are reasonable. I am not affiliated with them or any other supplier. They also have kapton tape in 8" widths that makes
it very easy to cover the glass. (use a little soapy water and once in place, heat the bed).

Well time to get back to playing with my toys. Hope this info helps.

Michael

James005

• View Profile
    • Design work
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2013, 08:43:12 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with this. Seems pretty new.. flexible material..

filaflex http://recreus.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMBA_VJyjuw

-James-

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2013, 09:28:12 PM »
We just ordered some yesterday to try it out. International shipping will probably take a couple of weeks.

TommyFive

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2013, 02:50:31 PM »
We just ordered some yesterday to try it out. International shipping will probably take a couple of weeks.
Any news on the Filaflex?  I'm definitely interested in picking some up for a project, but I want to make sure it'll work with the V2 extruder before I drop that much cash.

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2013, 03:52:58 PM »
Bukobot Duo v1

Herb

• View Profile
    • Herb Weiner
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2013, 01:19:56 AM »
The Proto-Pasta filaments sound interesting. I wonder how troublesome they will be to extrude.
Bukobot Duo v2

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2013, 09:20:57 PM »
Filaflex is awful. I got two rolls plus a sample of a third color, and all three vary hugely in diameter (3.0mm-2.3mm over the course of about 6"). I was not able to get a single print out of it. Ninjaflex (http://www.fennerdrives.com/3d/‎) is much better, and I've done a few cool, squishy prints with it, though it's still tricky to get it to print without buckling between the drive gear and the barrel.

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2013, 05:25:17 AM »
Somebody has posted a review of the Proto-Pasta filaments:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qu-bd/qu-bd-one-up-open-source-production-ready-3d-print/posts/648946

They tested two of the varieties on a PLA-only printer and liked the results.
Bukobot Duo v1

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2013, 02:32:33 AM »
I would think the carbon fiber PLA would horribly clog your nozzle if the fibers are long enough to have any effect. I've seen conductive ABS (which also has a bunch of carbon mixed in) make a nasty clog that was really difficult to clear entirely, even by cold-pulling nylon.

The PC-ABS is the one I'm excited about.

TommyFive

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2013, 12:12:09 AM »
Filaflex is awful. I got two rolls plus a sample of a third color, and all three vary hugely in diameter (3.0mm-2.3mm over the course of about 6"). I was not able to get a single print out of it. Ninjaflex (http://www.fennerdrives.com/3d/‎) is much better, and I've done a few cool, squishy prints with it, though it's still tricky to get it to print without buckling between the drive gear and the barrel.

I got a roll of the NinjaFlex, and it's AWESOME.  Works great for prototyping parts that are designed to be silicone or rubber.  Without retraction, there's no buckling but the print gets stringy.  With it, the print quality is much higher but there's a chance of buckling.  I'm wondering if something could be added below the drive gear to correct that.

MiguelKendrick

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2014, 10:55:23 AM »
I've recently used the 3D2PRINT PLA filaments and I liked it better than anything else I've used. I usually order PLA saver pack (Bundle of 8 spools) to qualify for the Economy shipping option (FREE). I haven
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 11:05:05 AM by MiguelKendrick »

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines