Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Filament and Filament Vendors  (Read 6999 times)

agumbrella

• View Profile
    • www.paulgomez.co
Re: Filament and Filament Vendors
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 01:11:49 AM »
Hi Guys,

I finally got my printer setup and running  :D

Now I want to order some filament to start building stuff, but the question I wanted to ask you is:

- What type of widths does the bukobot supports? (3mm only? or will it also support 1.75mm/1.8mm (From http://store.makerbot.com/filament#pla)?

I heard their quality is good because of the volume they handle.

jit

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 04:25:15 AM »
3mm.

The other size would require a different extruder.
Bukobot Duo v1

agumbrella

• View Profile
    • www.paulgomez.co
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 11:21:36 PM »
Thanks Jit!!!

I am having issues communicating with Printbl, I placed an order for some fillament and have not gotten any shipping confirmation nor answer phone calls when I've tried calling.

Any one knows where to buy Diamond Age PLA Filament like the one we received as a sample?? Does deezmaker sell fillament???

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 04:24:05 AM »
The Diamond Age filament we include comes from Printbl. Jordan has pretty much exhausted his first shipment from New Zealand (where Diamond Age is based) and is awaiting delivery of a second.

agumbrella

• View Profile
    • www.paulgomez.co
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 07:48:08 PM »
From the samples we got with the printer, how can we determine which one is ABS and which one is PLA? I got different colors but no idea on what material.

I am assuming the following:

- Red, orange, green = PLA
- Clear = ABS

Is this correct?

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 08:42:40 PM »
Both are Diamond Age PLA.

agumbrella

• View Profile
    • www.paulgomez.co
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 09:08:23 PM »
Thanks.

I though the bukobot parts were pinted in ABS.

I also found a decent filament buyers guide from www.protoparadigm.com

http://www.protoparadigm.com/blog/2012/06/3d-printer-filament-buyers-guide/

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 09:11:37 PM »
Mostly PLA. Natural ABS is sort of a cream color, while natural PLA is clear.

There are alternative formulations of ABS that can be clear, and we have started using this for some of the parts on recent machines, but it doesn't come out quite as clear as natural PLA (not as clear as GOOD natural PLA, anyway).

kazektulu

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 07:51:06 AM »
I had made an order from repraper.com for 6 spools of filament about 2 weeks ago. It was already paid for but they dropped the order. I had registered an account on their website, but the order processing tab went blank with it. Neither their support tab or their contact email are replying when I've asked them about what happened. I was so excited since they had good prices, but it seems their business practices are questionable, so far. I'll give them till the end of this weekend till I report to paypal and try to get the money back. :(
 I was really excited to try the conductive ABS they had, too.

buildrob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 09:40:36 AM »
Just an update on LAYWOO wood filament ... the stuff prints well at a wide range of temperature but very well at 180. The hotter the temperature the darker the color. I had some early successes on small models but ...

Unfortunately with a 0.35mm nozzle the filament keeps jamming in the nozzle. Looking around the other reprap forums this seems to be a common problem and people seem to only recommend this filament with a 0.5mm nozzle. I would concur with this. Printing at a much higher temperature (220+) seems to help with the jamming problem but then the printing performance drops:- no bridging or overhang ability and the filament spits and bubbles as it comes out of the nozzle (causing defects).

Shame - when it was printing it was very nice. Hopefully they'll improve their formulation or consistency enough for 0.35 nozzles to work.

Anyone have any different experiences?

kazektulu

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 04:45:57 PM »
It took about a month for the reprapper admin to ship the spools to me after emails back and forth but they did fix their order. I cant say anything about the quality yet. I've only been able to print a temperature test box and a .5mm thin wall box, I'm having problems with their Black PLA sticking/clumping on my extruder tip during any infill. So far they measure out to around 2.82mm diam, look well enough, wrapped in plastic and have moisture absorbant pellet bags they are shipped with. My thin wall piece seemed to look well enough, if I can get the rest to print decently I'll add more input.

:A little I noticed about the reprapper black 3mm PLA so far- it melts well at low temperatures. It was melting well at 160, but since cold extrusion stop kept being called, I've been using 175-180 as the better print temperatures. I had issues getting the first layer to stick well, but I am unsure whether that is because of the filament temperature or the fact that its sticking to my extruder instead any chance it gets (and then begins mopping up layers) at 210 the black would occasionally steam, so I am calling 200 as my top end temperature, but print quality begins to degrade after 185.

:After handfuls of tests and remeasurements, I found that this filament was varying in its diameter every 2-3 feet or so by .05mm. I was able to get a really beautiful set of first layers, walls, perimeters and infills... until the solid infill cover. This seems to be a common occurance with many of my prints before, but to a much lesser degree than now- instead of simply bridging over the gaps, the filament sticks to the extruder head, pools up and makes a big puddle of molten plastic, mopping up layers and spilling over everything.

:I have given up on the Black reprapper PLA until I can find a fix for cooling properties for PLA, either a fan attachment or trying a different extruder. I believe the largest factor I'm seeing is its need for more cooling.
 Instead, I have tried a few test runs with Taulman's 618 nylon, which runs much lower temperature than stated on his website. I am getting results with it at 200C, even though theres a lot of room for improvement. I've ordered a garlite plate from McMaster Carr but I doubt it will be the end product for an ideal print bed. I made a really impressive 608 BB ball bearing, but otherwise I cant get very reliable looking prints yet.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 04:13:26 AM by kazektulu »

Tyson

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2013, 12:56:23 AM »
Diamond Age PLA from printbl.com (USA distributor) seems to have been out of stock of many colors for some time now.

I wrote Diamond Age today and this was the reply:

"Thanks for your email. Printbl's next shipment left our shores
yesterday. It takes about 3 weeks to get there, and up to a week for
paperwork etc."

Mainframe

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2013, 09:58:07 PM »
Diamond Age PLA from printbl.com (USA distributor) seems to have been out of stock of many colors for some time now.

I wrote Diamond Age today and this was the reply:

"Thanks for your email. Printbl's next shipment left our shores
yesterday. It takes about 3 weeks to get there, and up to a week for
paperwork etc."

JOY!

I've recently been running the Natureworks 4043D and it's not bad, but it's not great. I have to run 210-215 to get decent prints which has led to a bit of peek seepage. The filament tolerance isn't great on the stuff I've been running from UltiMachine. They call it 2.9 with a variance of +/- .1 and I've measured full swings each direction.

I've also used some PLA from matterhackers as well. Steer clear of that. The tolerances were actually pretty good and when you first start a spool things seem ok. It goes down hill from there though. One of the biggest complaints I have is with their color saturation. What looked to be a bright orange ended up being peach. The other big problem with it was really two fold. First, the filament is brittle. Much more so that the 4043 or Diamond Age. Second, the radius at the center of the spool is incredibly tight. The tightly coiled brittle filament is prone to snapping. Short of somehow attaching the spool directly to the X Carriage so the filament can go straight into the feed without being flexed, you're going to end up throwing a good amount of otherwise useable material away. Nothing like having your filament break off mid print job. Suffice it to say I ended up throwing away the last 25-30% of the spool.

kazektulu

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2013, 08:05:03 PM »
I'm very surprised to see the drop in prices for these plastic vendors now competing on a wide scale just within the past 3 months. There are a lot of new suppliers from traditional plastics companies jumping into the filament market it looks like. Has anyone tried other special new filaments? We've seen some good results with nylon, I believe someone mentioned printing with the wood. I've got some conductive ABS filament from reprapper but I havent heard very good reports from others that have this same kind. I believe its just carbon particles thrown into ABS and tends to clog the extruders. (and currently limited to not printing ABS/ fumed filaments atm to try it yet)

There are a number of people expirimenting with new rubber filament types, which will bring a huge leap in printable options. There is a discussion ongoing on some new filament types at
http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?1,156719,page=1. The rubber filament that Simba, OP posts is the one shown on youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqGmisO4MHU
I've found another video, not sure if its a different filament vendor/manufacturer or not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKW_hnXaXNs 'Recreus'

An interesting discussion note, many believe extruders will begin to move to raw auger based extrusion, opening more options and lowering raw material costs.

Irawans

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2013, 11:53:45 PM »
Hi,

I do not know where I should ask this question, so I just post it here (sorry): How to make ABS stick on the platform ? When I print an object, which has a small / thin part, it always peel. I set the platform to be heated 120C, and the Filament 230C (Natural ABS, Protoparadigm). I think this is high / hot enough to make it sticks on the platform.

thank you.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines