Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Filament and Filament Vendors  (Read 5475 times)

Tyson

• View Profile
Filament and Filament Vendors
« on: December 03, 2012, 07:18:07 PM »
Starting a thread to encourage people to post comments sharing information and experiences with different filament and filament vendors.

There is information here:
http://reprap.org/wiki/Printing_Material_Suppliers

But it is a bit overwhelming.

For new users it would be good to have a recommended safe source for PLA and ABS, preferrably the same source to save on shipping.  It probably isn't worth saving a few bucks to risk getting into trouble with a low quality filament when just getting started.

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
Re: Filament and Filament Vendors
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:59:11 PM »
Almost all of the PLA you will find in the US comes from the same supplier, and it's pretty low-quality. I've heard theat the stuff from China is even worse. I had sworn off PLA after having nothing but trouble and low-quality prints with it on my first printer. You can now get Diamond Age PLA from printbl.com, which is infinitely better, and is what we include as samples in the Bukobot kits, as well as what most of the bot's printed parts are made of.

For 3mm ABS, my current favorite supplier is Protoparadigm.com. Vendors to avoid like the plague include 3dprinterstuff.com and buy3dink.com.

For Europe, Reprap source seems to have really great ABS (I haven't tried it due to fear of the international shipping rates, but I lust after some of the photos I've seen) and I've heard good things about Faberdashery PLA.

We're looking into other suppliers to recommend and possibly carry in the shop.

fixedtrd

• View Profile
    • Cokreeate
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 07:41:23 AM »
Has anyone else tried other vendor for PLA or ABS?
I tried some on ebay and I notice the ABS one I got is really brittle when printing.
 I got some glow in the dark PLA  and its not too bad.
Maybe we should have a list of vendor that everyone has tried and review on it.

PhracturedBlue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 11:28:06 PM »
Besides buying more Diamond Age PLA, I also bought some from Repraper.com

So far the Repraper PLA is very true as far as roundness and uniformity goes.
It needs to be printed at a much higher temperature (215/210 for yellow, 220/215 for purple)  It does not stick to Kapton tape as well, but glues down to painters tape really well with the bed at 65C (haven't tried without heated bed).  I also spent a lot more time tweaking my Bukobot to get the repraper stuff printing well (and I still need to figure out a better cooling solution for both Repraper and Diamond Age.
Shipping-wise, both shipped quickly, I had the Diamong Age in a couple days, the Repraper was about a week as I recall.

I definitely prefer working with the Diamond Age, but I could get more than twice as much PLA from repraper for the same price, so I'll likely continue to split my orders between the companies.  I've got 4kg of PLA and 2 of ABS now which will likely last me quite some time until my next order.

fixedtrd

• View Profile
    • Cokreeate
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 03:36:51 AM »
Has anyone tried Ultimachine filaments before if so how do you like them?

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 03:54:25 AM »
I used to use them exclusively when their prices were lower than everyone else's and I didn't know about quality differences, but haven't ordered from them in a long time. I'm just ordered some to test, but the old PLA we have ranges from "usable, but clearly inferior to Diamond Age" to "utter crap". The ABS is probably fine, but I'll be able to say more confidently in a week or two.

buildrob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 04:33:11 AM »
I just ordered a couple of rolls of the Laywoo-D3 3mm plastisized wood filament which looks really cool.
http://betterprinter.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/review-wood-filament.html

We should probably also add this to the set of printable materials on the wiki front page.

My wife is a florist so I sure there's all sorts of interesting wooden vase designs which can be printed with it. I think wood will be much more aesthetically compatible with flowers than most plastic.

Interestingly through some special Gcode generation to dynamically vary extrusion temperature you can produce organic looking color gradients and variations:
http://betterprinter.blogspot.fr/2012/10/shades-of-brown-with-wood-filament-via.html

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 04:39:25 AM by buildrob »

fixedtrd

• View Profile
    • Cokreeate
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 08:59:12 AM »
I came across the wood filament online couple of months ago but it was sold out.
Where did you order yours from?

buildrob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 10:20:25 AM »
A company in Australia (that's where I am) seem to have ordered a big batch of it and are reselling it.

http://www.3dprintergear.com.au/Wood_Filament_3mm_p/wood3.htm

I checked the shipping for the US and its about $16USD per half kilo for Airmail which is pretty reasonable (especially given I had to pay $10 for local courier delivery!) - so that's about $69USD per half kilo including delivery (which is two rolls).

Don't buy all their stock though ok! :-)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 11:32:42 AM by buildrob »

fixedtrd

• View Profile
    • Cokreeate
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 08:09:06 PM »
Hahah thank you for the info.
I'll wait for you to use them and give us some feedback first .

mobidi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 08:13:25 PM »
I've tried Laywoo-d3 and it is pretty awesome stuff.  Prints well and it's fun to play with the temperature during the print to add texturing.

You can get it in the U.S. from here:
https://www.matterhackers.com/store/3d-printer-filament?t=3.00mm%20Specialty%20Filament

fixedtrd

• View Profile
    • Cokreeate
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 08:10:05 AM »
Anyone have issue with Ultimachine Filament jamming the hot end?
I just got some of their filament and notice some of them are jamming the hot end.

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 08:27:23 PM »
We had one spool that got up to 3.3mm thick in one spot and jammed the extruder, but that was an isolated case, and they sent us a replacement spool.

You are using increased temperature with the ultimachine filament, right? Ultimachine PLA should be extruded around 210C.

fixedtrd

• View Profile
    • Cokreeate
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 11:30:10 PM »
I put the temp as high as 225 and it still jams the extruder/hot end. The silver roll that I ordered from them jams really bad. I had some ebay stuff and it works fine. I even took the hotend apart cleaned it up and it still jammed up. I will try the silver one again tonight to see if it happens again.

whosawhatsis

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Whosawhatsis on G+
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 10:31:57 PM »
I tried a sample of that silver Ultimachine PLA, and I didn't like it. I was not pleased with the results with any of the settings I tried. It printed, but it wasn't pretty.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines