Bukobot 3D Printer Forum

News: Added the Bukobot Parts List (BOM) to Wiki at http://bukobot.com/bukobot-parts-list
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Integrated mains switch and socket wiring instructions  (Read 354 times)

Mark

• View Profile
Integrated mains switch and socket wiring instructions
« on: December 31, 2012, 06:08:38 PM »
Guys I looked at the instructions on the page for the Cover design and he included a text description of how he wired the switch.  I drew up a diagram of it and included his text and the link.  Did I interpret his wiring text right?

msfwebdude

• View Profile
Re: Integrated mains switch and socket wiring instructions
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 08:31:06 PM »
I built the power supply enclosure.

Since the switch also has a neon indicator bulb prewired, I put the load and neutral through the switch so that it would light up when on.

Here is the wiring I used:

« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 08:33:43 PM by msfwebdude »

msfwebdude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 08:32:06 PM »
One more pic...

buildrob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 09:03:54 PM »
That's funny - I was just looking at the Thingiverse page yesterday and was going to post a comment this morning about NewtonRob's wiring instructions.

I also wired my switch like Msfwebdude.

Msf, can you upload those pictures to http://bukobot.com/adding-a-mains-power-switch ?
I still don't have my Bukobot printer kit yet and I was waiting until I printed the cover before uploading pics - so that could still be weeks before I've got something to uplaod.

Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 09:10:54 PM »
The new wiring makes sense to me - meaning running the neutral thru the switch too - unlike what i found and diagrammed (unless I did it wrong which is totally possible).

Does it matter which side (L or R) of the switch prongs you wire the pairs - meaning does the Line wire from the plug have to go on the right and the Line wire out to the PSU have to go on the left?

I get that the matched color pairs must stay together top or bottom.

buildrob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 09:32:18 PM »
Yes it does matter which side it is wired to. If you look closely at the switch you can see the neon lamp leads are connected to the switch terminal which are slight wider (depending on how your module was assemble this may be either the left or the right). You want these to be on the power-supply side not the socket side (otherwise the lamp will always be on). It shouldn't matter whether the active is connected to the top or bottom terminals of the switch (as long as the other side is wired the same way). Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 07:42:18 AM by buildrob »

Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 09:37:09 PM »
Yes it does help.  Thank you Buildrob.  I see he soldered the connections inside the switch.  Is that OK?  I thought I read somewhere that soldering a mains switch is bad and you should use screw and nut on the ring connections.  Seems like a really tight fit though for that.

buildrob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 09:46:57 PM »
I soldered mine also. Soldering connections can cause problems if the connected cable is allowed to move backwards and forwards. However that isn't a problem if you use proper strain relief or if is inside an enclosure as the case is here.

msfwebdude

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 07:43:29 AM »
hey buildrob, I updates that page with the image you requested.

Here's one external pic, notice the silent fan mounted on top. I bought a quiet fan that was too thick and figured out I could mount it on top instead. I also swapped out the 40mm extruder fan with a silent 5cfm 14dba fan. Now my bukobot is really quiet.

buildrob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 07:46:32 AM »
That's cool. It probably means you can't mount it under the Y-axis but I imagine that's no great problem.

Also NewtonRob posted some photos of his switch wiring on Thingiverse. I noticed that the switch in his module has been assembled in the opposite orientation - so Mark check your switch orientation. One set of terminals is slightly wider.

I've edited my previous response to refer to the wider/narrower terminals rather than left/right.

Msf, do you mind if I add a couple of your other pictures to the wiki page?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:44:51 AM by buildrob »

Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 07:22:45 PM »
Got it.  Thank you.  When I get the switch from Amazon this weekend I'll check out which side is which.

I had not planned to add an extra fan for the PSU - is that a must or a nice to have?
If I did go down that route - is the fan on top of the PSU wired to the PSU or to the controller board.
Any pics on what terminals that's wired to?

Second, I like the idea of an even quieter fan on the BB, where did you get it?

buildrob

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 07:48:30 PM »
I wrote up my quieter fan adventures here: http://bukobot.com/adding-a-quieter-power-supply-fan
Its definitely not a must have.

msfwebdude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 08:09:36 PM »
Although it looks like I added a second fan, I merely replaced the fan. And since the one I bought was not the one mentioned in the article (which was very good btw) about how to replace the fan, I got the 60 x 60 x 25mm fan instead of the 60 x 60 x 15mm fan recommended by buildrob. It didn't fit inside so I rerouted the wires and mounted it externally.

MrXtreme

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 05:19:11 AM »
I wrote up my quieter fan adventures here: http://bukobot.com/adding-a-quieter-power-supply-fan
Its definitely not a must have.

Okay this thread is over a year old, but Thanks buildrob!  I just switched out the fan on my "hurricane" loud power supply with what you recommended and it's definitely much more pleasant to run my Bukobot Duo V1.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.3 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines